Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jinesh12
Contributor
Contributor

Those who have used Tableau and Qlik - which is your favorite? Why?

Hello guys,,

My personal experience with qlik is limited but we did evaluate both tools for 3 months. I would say that qlik is programmer/developer friendly. If you want to do something there is probably somewhere a dialog box or wizard to let you do that. Tableau just works differently. Its visual query language allows you encode any column to many possible visualization elements. There is no pie chart wizard, no histogram wizard to step through. It allows you to encode your data to different elements and draw different mark types to quickly change visuals and see things differently. It is incredibly expressive.

A 50 year old software engineer watched me build him some charts from his tickets data once and I was going fast. Dragging, switching, changing colors, flipping, right clicking, erasing and starting over and after about a minute of this he said to me. "What the hell are you doing?", I told him "I'm trying to create the right vizql statement to meet your needs." He laughed and then said, "Tableau really is a programming language isn't it?" Yup, but not by typing text but with data driven visual cues.

1 Reply
Saravanan_Desingh

I have evaluated Tableau for Dashboards. Finally we stayed with Qlik. The main reason is, it's ETL capabilities. Most of  the data in my organization is un-formatted.  The way Qlik support here, could not be replaced by Tableau. But now they have a tool called Prep for formatting these kind of data, which comes with a cost.