Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Creating Community Connection Request

How do I make a connection request to another Community user? Can't seem to find the option.

-Rob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

All good questions Stefan and I think I answered some of them above. Part of the design of this functionality is to give you the option to accept or remove contact who may give you useful information or perhaps spam messages.

At one point spammers would just send people direct messages in community settings. The requirement to approve new contacts before they can message you is an attempt to help protect you from that.

You can choose to accept or deny requests via your Inbox (excuse the quality, but I had to cut and paste to fit this all on the page).

Select Connection Updates (seen with the pink icon in my inbox)

approve connections.png

Once you are on the Connection Updates page you can respond to connection requests.

connection request.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think it's by clicking 'follow' on the users profile page. Not sure, though.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Jive Help talks about Friends (IMHO this is what you mean, Rob) and connections (connections being one way links like 'Follow') but doesn't specify on how to create either one. There is a lot of info about Follow/Followers but that's streams-related. And if you dig even further, it appears that the choice between friends and connections is a global community setting....

Definitely hidden somewhere. I still get invites after the upgrade. I'll ask one of those in the queue.

Peter

buzzy996
Master II
Master II

i think by clicking follow we will connect another users in community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Rob, this functionality has changed a bit. Now you can 'follow' other members. Go to their profile page and then click on the follow link on the mid right hand side- just under profile pictures. Note that you can select which feeds you want the alerts to display.

follow other members.png

Does this help?

Sara

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

I think this helps. What I was looking for was whatever it was that was going to allow me to PM a member. If I follow them, and they accept, then I can PM them? Is that correct?

-Rob

swuehl
MVP
MVP

sli‌, maybe you can create a follow up of your related blog post one day or the other.

For example, I do get notifications that someone wants to connect with me, and as far as I remember, there are options Accept, Deny, Ignore.

As far as I understand the page from Jive Help file about  connections, these should be one-way, so there is no need for B to accept a request from A if A wants to follow B.

I usually accept these requests, but honestly I am unsure what this is all about, e.g. what would be consequence for the follower if I deny or ignore his request.

Lately, I got a request to accept / reject some kind of tag someone has applied to my profile (probably so he can find me easier), but I haven't heard about that feature nor I have seen a place to tag somebody myself.

If you could summarize how these 'social webbing' is working in Jive, I would appreciate.

In case I missed a blog post or discussion, a link will do.

Regards,

Stefan

edit:

Ok, I've discovered that this tagging is related to the 'Skills' section of member's profile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats correct Rob. You can also manage your followers and connections if you click on People then select Following or Followers.

On the right hand side you can see the following status (you can click on this to customize what feeds you want to see their content OR to unfollow). You can click on the gear icon if you want to send them a message. Personally I think the gear icon is a little counter productive (to me it implies the functionality found in the drop down and should have a message icon instead.

manage followers.png

following drop down.png

Hope this helps!

swuehl
MVP
MVP

sli‌, it seems to me that mostly the same people are listed under Followers and Following when I visit these sites.

I assume that's because I accepted nearly all requests by followers, so now I am following all these people, right?

I understand I can click on this button and fine tune the feed settings for the people I follow.

But why do I see also similar options if I click on the button on my Followers page? Can I change their settings?

Seems I am getting confused or into a circular loop of following followers...

Maybe it's just too late.

Anonymous
Not applicable

All good questions Stefan and I think I answered some of them above. Part of the design of this functionality is to give you the option to accept or remove contact who may give you useful information or perhaps spam messages.

At one point spammers would just send people direct messages in community settings. The requirement to approve new contacts before they can message you is an attempt to help protect you from that.

You can choose to accept or deny requests via your Inbox (excuse the quality, but I had to cut and paste to fit this all on the page).

Select Connection Updates (seen with the pink icon in my inbox)

approve connections.png

Once you are on the Connection Updates page you can respond to connection requests.

connection request.png