Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich_morby
Contributor II
Contributor II

Access to QVD file

Hello,

I've created several QVD files and would like to be able to provide access to users and/or groups so the specific QVDs that they have rights to will show up on the Connections tab when they go to add data.

I would like to do this without providing them access to folders, however, if folders need to be involved the next best thing would be to give them access to only the one folder that has the QVDs they have rights to.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Rich

6 Replies
shaun_lombard
Creator II
Creator II

We have implemented something similar to what you require, and we use folders. The good thing about the folder structure is that you only have to give the Qlik Sense service account access to the folders and then you secure the individual folders by creating data connections and then securing those with security rules based on the users rights.

I hope this helps.

rich_morby
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Shaun!

I was able to set security rules to read only for all users (ultimately I would limit by user or group).

SecuritySettings.png

The only issue I'm running into with this is I'm getting an access denied error message when I try to connect to the data source as one of the users.

AccessDenied.png

If I simply click close the message goes away and I can access the data. This will end up confusing my end users.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich

shaun_lombard
Creator II
Creator II

That is odd. I normally only see that message on apps with section access.

It is weird that it then allows access after closing the dialog box.

Is the QVD data on the Qlik server or a file share somewhere?

There should also be additional details in the Qlik logs for the Access Denied message.

What version of sense are you running?

rich_morby
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I'm running QlikServer version 12.11.4.0

I checked the file system and this user also has rights to the directory in question where the QVDs are stored.

Do you know which log file might have some info on this and if I should set that type of log to debug mode to capture the details?

Thanks,
Rich

steasy
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi, do you still use this structure? I'm not that far yet, but I have a conceptional lack of understanding in preventing users to access specific folders. When storing QVDs in a shared drive, is there any advantageous way in preventing access via Qlik? Or why can't I just focus on permission rights via the OS?

shaun_lombard
Creator II
Creator II

When a Qlik user uses the folder data connection that has the QVD files, they are NOT connecting as themselves, they are connecting via the Qlik Service Account. Ideally you want to set up the folder structure in a granular way that allows you to secure the data connection via security rules to specific users or windows AD groups.