Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manoj23_86
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Accessing past versions of same app (archiving before reload and accessing)

In our environment, a new set of data is created every week and the app is refreshed/reloaded weekly after creation of new data.

User also want to access past versions also (say last two years)  - basically snapshot of each week where they will be able to slice and dice the way they do on the current week app. If it is qlik view it is like creating copy the app before reloading. We are migrating from Power BI reports and they currently have that option.

I could not find anything like that for qlik sense.  Users don's have access to QMC so  exporting and importing is not an option. Currently as a work around what I am doing is:

1. An ETL app that creates QVD of each week with date stamp. Also updates one master QVD by appending latest week's date

2. The Main app with visualizations loads the QVD by suffixing current week by default to the QVD name. This also acts ODAG template app where the "week" is the ODAG bound parameter. 

3. From an ODAG selection app user picks the week and when the week is passed to the main app, it picks the QVD based on the date and generates the app.

This ODAG approach is fine. However the problem comes when the main app goes through change for example new data source/ new column gets added. In such cases the ODAG app generation will fail for the older weeks as the QVD for new data source is not available or (new columns not available). Even if I capture the error in load script, the visualization would show invalid.

As a work around, In the ODAG selection app, I am thinking of retaining the old Main app and it is app navigation link and create new app navigation link for the new version of the Main app. Users need to be instructed on this one.

I hope I am clear with what I am doing currently and what we need. However my current approach is bit clumsy and if you have some better approach or idea, please share and I can try that. Appreciate your response.

Stay Safe, thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Replies