Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephenhasson
Creator
Creator

Add Story option - within a published app?

Hello.

I have just realised that users appear to be unable to take snapshots and add stories within an app that's published to a user stream. The apps work fine within the 'Workspace', but not within the 'User Apps' section.

Is this a limitation, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

6 Replies
sarahplymale
Creator
Creator

End-users should be able to add stories and take snapshots in published apps unless you have a security rule that is preventing them from being able to do so.  The functionality should exist as long as the user has the correct permissions.

Sarah

qlik-hepbu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, yes it seems that 'Viewers' can't use stories, only 'Editors', which is a really big restriction.

If I make a user an Editor rather than a Viewer and they work in the app within 'Workspace' rather than 'Stream', can you please clarify whether or not they will be seeing up-to-date information?

The app within the Stream is set to automatically refresh daily (from my ERP system). Does the refresh change only the version within Stream, or also the one in Workspace (or is there really only 1 version)?

Thanks again,

Stephen Hasson

stephenhasson
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for your reply, yes it seems that 'Viewers' can't use stories, only 'Editors', which is a really big restriction.

If I make a user an Editor rather than a Viewer and they work in the app within 'Workspace' rather than 'Stream', can you please clarify whether or not they will be seeing up-to-date information?

The app within the Stream is set to automatically refresh daily (from my ERP system). Does the refresh change only the version within Stream, or also the one in Workspace (or is there really only 1 version)?

Thanks again,

Stephen Hasson

sarahplymale
Creator
Creator

What version of QlikSense are you using?  On QlikSense Enterprise 3.2, when you publish an app to a stream it leaves your workspace.  If you want it to remain in your workspace then you need to make a copy of the app first.  In this case there are two versions that are copies of each other, one in the workspace and one in the stream you published to.  These versions are not linked, so changes made in the app in the workspace will not automatically go to the stream.  If you have a task setup to automatically refresh the app published to the stream this will not automatically refresh the copy in the workspace.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by roles of "Viewers" and "Editors".  It should be possible to grant access for end-users of the published app to create stories and snapshots.  Once the app is published they can't directly edit it anyways only add user content.

stephenhasson
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'm using Qlik Sense Cloud (business version). I've confirmed with Qlik that the users of the apps which are published to the User Stream (a 'viewer') cannot use stories.

The only option I have is to give the required users access to the Workspace (by setting as  'editor'). This means they can use stories, but they could then change the app (not desired) and they also can't benefit from the regularly scheduled ERP data refresh, as this only work on the apps published to the user stream.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an update on this issue?

We are currently evaluating Qlik, and this is a really big gap. End Users (Stream viewers) should be allow to create stories, take snapshots and download powerpoint presentation.

Is there a way to change this?

Screenshot from Stream Viewer

Screenshot_2018-08-07_13-40-43.png

Screenshot from Workspace Editor

Screenshot_2018-08-07_13-41-05.png