cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Harrisonpeg7
Contributor II
Contributor II

Adding custom symbols/ icons for points on a map

Hello! I am trying to use images for my point layers on a map. I am using lat/long and would like various animal pictures to appear instead of a shape. I have seen other post explains this but it is confusing to me, does anyone know of a video that explains this and/or can give a dummys explanation. Thank you much, student trying to rock!

-Harrison

Labels (6)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shekarreddy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Harrison 

Yes, you can use your own images for point layers on map. Here i will give brief explanation. First select map and click on the layer, and drill down the point layer. And you can see the Size&shape button and select size&shape button. And drill down the shape there you can see new option image. select the image and upload the image from media and insert. Once insert completed it will display image on the map.

For quick look: select map -> click layer -> drill-down point layer  -> click on size&shape -> drill-down shape -> select image -> click on image icon -> upload media and select your own image from you system.
Reference link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfDOIUDC__g

Rareddy

View solution in original post

3 Replies
shekarreddy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Harrison 

Yes, you can use your own images for point layers on map. Here i will give brief explanation. First select map and click on the layer, and drill down the point layer. And you can see the Size&shape button and select size&shape button. And drill down the shape there you can see new option image. select the image and upload the image from media and insert. Once insert completed it will display image on the map.

For quick look: select map -> click layer -> drill-down point layer  -> click on size&shape -> drill-down shape -> select image -> click on image icon -> upload media and select your own image from you system.
Reference link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfDOIUDC__g

Rareddy

Harrisonpeg7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Rareddy!

tfyoder1
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Is it possible to have a unique image for each individual point, or are the custom images limited to represent each layer?

I am looking to have a custom image for each point, but it appears it will only allow custom images at the layer level, not at the point level.   

Alternatively, I suppose that making hundreds of layers to represent the hundreds of images I want to depict on the map is possible, but it doesn't seem practical.   It might be useable if a simple way to convert the filtered results from a chart and convert the results into a map plot including all of the needed layers dynamically.   Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!