Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WeePecky
Contributor III
Contributor III

Alter chart range max and min values based on measure selected

Greetings,

I have a chart which functions aok except when the measure is changed from it's default.

It renders as follows with Measure 1 selected: (note the bar on the left hand side is the max value of the set)

Measure 1 selectedMeasure 1 selected

When Measure 2 is selected it shows as follows:

Measure 2 selectedMeasure 2 selected

How do I set the custom range values based on the selected measure?

Labels (5)
5 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

In your chart properties navigate to

Appearance > Colors and legend > Color > Range

Set the Range from auto to Custom, enter values or expressions that calculate values in the fields Min and Max.
WeePecky
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Vegar,

Yes, I have fund the inputs, but cannot get a handle to the selected measure.

Sorry, should have been clearer.

Expressions are my Achilles heal for the moment. Suggestions welcomed.

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Could you try to describe in words how you want the color scale to work?
Should the scale be fixed over all selections or should it re-calibrate on
certain conditions?

Could you post your chart expression and which dimension field names you
are using in your chart?

WeePecky
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

... sure.

I have dimension one, which displays a count of widgets.

The bar  chart is displayed by customer with each customer's widgets displayed and ordered in descending order by Count(distinct "widgets").

The bar chart has three dimensions, which correctly display the max and min values on the right hand side range legend scale as shown in the images provided. The maximum number of type one widgets per customer is 43.

The other dimension are Widget Location and Widget Supplier.

When the dimension is changed to Widget Location and the Measure remains as Count(distinct "widgets") the range legend indicator shows the correct number of widgets, which in this case is 426, so both the maximum value the bar chart  displays is the total 426, which agrees with the range indicator on the right hand side.

There are two measures. Count(distinct "widgets") and Count(distinct "CustomerID").

When the measure is changed to Count(distinct "CustomerID") and, as in the case shown in the images above, the dimension selected is "Widget Location", the bar chart maximum value displayed is 594, which is correct, but the range legend indicator continue to display the maximum and minimum values of the measure Count(distinct "widgets").

The expression I currently have in the charts Properties | Appearance | Colors and Legend | Select Measure is:

=Count(distinct "widgets").  - I shall refer to this as the "Select Measure."

The Range is currently set "Auto."  - I shall refer to this as the "Measure Range."

I believe I should be setting the values in the "Measure Range", but I cannot find a function to identify the selection of the measure for use in an If statement so I can set the range using the "Custom" option.

Also I believe that the  "Select Measure" needs to be dynamic.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Vegar
MVP
MVP

It sounds kind of odd that the Qlik Sense objects does not recognize which measure is active to recalibrate the legend colors. I've hard to see this behavior as a desired feature, it sounds like a bug or a good feature request.

As you can't really fetch which measure that is active in your expression you will need to do some kind of work around. I've two approaches that you could try out.

1. Assign the second measure to the secondary axis.
2. Use one measure for the two expression and keep the logic to switch between them in the application using an field data island or variables. You can switch between color calculations with the same approach. I did an example of this approach for switching between KPIs in another thread last week. https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-Qlik-Sense/YTD-as-KPI/m-p/1578241/highlight/true#M135069

3dc16ad8-e595-44bf-b33f-2fb5c7a1f942.gif