Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomgury
Contributor II
Contributor II

Alternative Dimensions- Filtering.

Hi,

I have an Alternate State on Field "Date" with visualizations that are being affected with the alternate states.

This causes other filters to not affect those visualizations (That are affected with the alternate states).

I know, for example, that i can do this in the set analysis: Country= $::Country, but that will let only the "Country" Field to affect the visualizations.

is there a way for me to let all dimensions (Apart from the Date, Which has Alternate States on it) filters Affect the visualizations that are affected by the alternate states?

Thanks,

Tom.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Have a look at the solution suggested here: https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Dev/Passing-selections-to-alternate-states/m-p/380516

That said, if you want your object to work entirely according to State1 and have one field from State2, wouldn't it make more sense to have the object belong to State1 and only pass the one field from State2 rather than having the object in State2 and passing all the selections from State1?

tomgury
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Or,

Thanks for the help.

The issue with my case is the i have 2 alternate States:

1. Main Dates

2. Benchmark Dates.

I have KPI's that shows the KPI Measure (Which is affected by State [Main Dates]

and Next to it is the same KPI Value (Which is affected by State [Benchmark Dates].

This is how i can dynamically compare the same KPI with Dynamic Dates for both The main Dates and Benchmark Dates.

I would Like Both of those States (Benchmark And Main) to be affected by the rest of the dimensions but not the Date, which i would like to be separated by the alternate states.

Correct me please if I'm wrong but the solution you suggested would solve the issue with the rest of the dimensions (Country, Customer, Etc would affect both states) but If I would only Pass "Date" From State 1 to State 2, it would show me the same date for both states and that would be missing the point of alternate dimensions right?

Am i missing something? if not, do you have any other suggestion for my situation?

Thanks again

Or
MVP
MVP

This actually sounds like a case where you don't need alternate states at all.

For Main Dates objects, include a set analysis to ignore any selections made on Benchmark Dates, e.g. Sum({<[Benchmark Date] = >} Value)

For Benchmark Date objects, include a set analysis to ignore any selections made on Main Dates

Sum({<[Main Date] = >} Value)

For comparison, use the two individual formulas with the appropriate set analysis, e.g.

Sum({<[Benchmark Date] = >} Value) - Sum({<[Main Date] = >} Value)

tomgury
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

I Actually don't have 2 fields : [Benchmark Date], [Main Date].

I Only have one "Date" field on a Master Calendar, on which i have 2 filters that 1 has [Main Date] Alternate State applied, and 1 has [Benchmark Date] Alternate State applied, but both Filters has "Date" as dimension.

If i will have another "Date" field in the master calendar with the same dates as the "Date" field i have now and use your suggestion, should it work?

Or
MVP
MVP

Presumably, you could set your second date field to be in a separate state and then just pass that over to the object (which would still be associated with the original state)?

tomgury
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

How do i do that? what do i write in the set analysis?

Or
MVP
MVP

tomgury
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

This works great.

Thanks a lot!