Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shope99
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Always One Selected - clearing values?

"Always One Selected" was added to Qlik Sense recently, and I understand this is a long-standing request.

Our team likes it in very simple use cases because we often have dimensions which need one selection (multiples don't make sense), and it saves the user some mouse clicks.

But, we're all a bit flummoxed by the fact that when we apply this to several dimensions, we can often "trap" the user to a filter such that they can't get out.

As an example,

LOAD * INLINE [
Store,Product,Sales
A,Shoes,5
A,Waffles,6
B,Shoes,7
B,Tires,8];

If we apply "Always One Selected" to both Store and Product, if the user selects "A" and "Shoes", then they can switch between store A and B with a single click.  But, once they pick "Tires", they can't switch back to store A, because "A" wouldn't match "Tires".  So, if they figure it out, they can switch back to shoes, back to store A, then navigate to waffles.

Things get tougher when we add store "C" that sells clocks and pillows, since once someone picks "C" and "Clocks", none of the other selections is available, and "Always One Selected" means they can't clear the selections and start over.

Is there a way to make "Always One Selected" to behave more as "No more than one selected"?  It seems that being able to clear these selections would solve most of our issues with this behaviour.

Thanks for any input/feedback

Shaun

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Thomas
Former Employee
Former Employee

Thanks for working with us on this behavior. I authored a new kb article on this and submitted a new product enhancement request to ask that R&D consider making a built-in way for the user to clear the always one selected value selections.

As a workaround, we used a Navigation button which pointed to a bookmark to give the end user a way to reset the page and escape the dead-end. Please see  Article 000071096 for more details.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Wlad_Masi
Employee
Employee

Hi Shope99,

Can you please log a case with Qlik Support for this behavior?
I could replicate what you described and would love to have a development answer on this.
By the way, thank you for the awesome description of the issue.

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to mark a correct resolution or answer to your problem or question as correct.
shope99
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Wlad, thanks for reaching out.  I've created ticket # 01612255 through the support portal and attached a QVF demonstrating the behaviour.  Thanks for looking in to this!

Ken_Thomas
Former Employee
Former Employee

Thanks for working with us on this behavior. I authored a new kb article on this and submitted a new product enhancement request to ask that R&D consider making a built-in way for the user to clear the always one selected value selections.

As a workaround, we used a Navigation button which pointed to a bookmark to give the end user a way to reset the page and escape the dead-end. Please see  Article 000071096 for more details.