Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdaniels-obrien
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Bar graphs: Using continuous scale and specifying bar width

Hi All, 

I am using a bar graph as an hour by hour chart.  I want to show the sum of two measures at each hour of the day.  It was a struggle to get a proper x-axis and I ended up using the continuous scale setting so that I could create a pretty axis.  Everything looks great except for the width of the bars. The bars are very thin and I would like them to be wider so they look better for the user.  I know that there is a setting under Presentation>Styling>Bar Width but that option is not there for me; I can only change outline width.  I have attached a picture of the graph and the settings I am using.  

I would preferably like to find a way to set the width of the bars to a certain size or even have it change dynamically as I select smaller and smaller date ranges. Either option would be a better looking visualization.  Is there a script one can write to specify bar width on a visualization? Is there an extension that I can use a continuous scale and get thicker bars? Other options out there? Has anyone heard of displaying an hour by hour chart in a better way using another kind of chart? 

Thank you so so much in advance! Hoping someone can help out! 🙂 

HbyH.PNG

settings2.PNG

settings1.PNG

settings3.PNG

4 Replies
UserID2626
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Try changing the  X-axis properties in Appearance

Image.JPG

jamshed07
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

just uncheck Use Continuous Scale checkbox

cosmocracy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also in the OP's situation--I'd like to use a continuous X-axis scale but my bars are being rendered as thin slivers.  The example screenshot above still uses a discrete (vs. continuous) axis...it's set for "Auto" not continuous. The "number of bars" option doesn't appear unless it's in discrete mode.

So... also really looking for a "set bar width" style setting but not finding it...?

AshwinDaniel
Contributor III
Contributor III

@kdaniels-obrien You shall try turn ON the scroll bar under the presentation. Also you have to keep "Auto" for No of X-axis value under x-axis. These steps will enable you play with "the width of the bars" under styling using adjustable bar.