Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gvmpro
Partner - Contributor III

Bookmark lost in Qlik Sense

Hi All,

By editing and replacing the app in the client server, all the bookmarks they had created so far has disappeared and i dont find a way to recuperate them, i published a backup from a week ago but still nothing, they cant see their bookmarks...  there is a way to get them back? Do you know what can cause this issue? 

Like always... this is kind of urgent, ill be gartefull if somebody could help.

Thx in advance

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Giuseppe_Novello

Hold on prior you proceed with @ChiragPradhan  steps, you  have some questions:

How you do the roll back,

A:  Found here - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/April2019/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Sense_De...

There is any risk to lose data:

A: Yes, depends. From you last backup of the repository database and apps binaries until present will be lost. 

Should i make a backup or reinstall QS again?

A: I think you mean restore. Reinstalling won't do anything, reinstall just do will do is removing the software and place it back once you install, it won't roll back any of you backups.

Now, the question to you, whats worth the effort? yes made a mistake, but if it is a single app, that few bookmarks were lost, I would think it is much easier to ask the end user to recreate and for you learn the lesson what not to do once you replace an application. Yes, there is a risk if you roll back and possible bring the whole environment down, which will have more effort for just few lost bookmarks. I personally, I  would place it in a scale and evaluate which one is heavier.

BR

Gio 

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

Are you sure, you replaced the app, since the only thing I can think of the app ID changed and that cause the bookmarks to get lost. You can roll back the database, but you must also roll back the app binaries ( these are the files under <sharefolder>\apps) since the actual bookmark data is in the binary and the metadata is in the DB, so both items need to roll back. 

BR

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Gvmpro
Author

Hi  thx for you support, . Now, you suggest a good option but im afraid im not an expert and will like to make it sure.
¿How you do the roll back, there is any risk to lose data, should i make a backup or reinstall QS again?
If you know  a site online, a doc or any guide step-by-step i can use will be very useful.

Thanks in advance again.

ChiragPradhan
Creator II
Creator II

You can follow the steps listed here -

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/April2019/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Sense_De...

For your situation, I would recommend doing a point in time restore of the entire server where Qlik Sense is installed. That would restore the app binaries and the repository db from a point in time.

Good luck !

Giuseppe_Novello

Hold on prior you proceed with @ChiragPradhan  steps, you  have some questions:

How you do the roll back,

A:  Found here - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/April2019/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Sense_De...

There is any risk to lose data:

A: Yes, depends. From you last backup of the repository database and apps binaries until present will be lost. 

Should i make a backup or reinstall QS again?

A: I think you mean restore. Reinstalling won't do anything, reinstall just do will do is removing the software and place it back once you install, it won't roll back any of you backups.

Now, the question to you, whats worth the effort? yes made a mistake, but if it is a single app, that few bookmarks were lost, I would think it is much easier to ask the end user to recreate and for you learn the lesson what not to do once you replace an application. Yes, there is a risk if you roll back and possible bring the whole environment down, which will have more effort for just few lost bookmarks. I personally, I  would place it in a scale and evaluate which one is heavier.

BR

Gio 

Giuseppe Novello
Gvmpro
Author

Hi  chiragpradhan / Gio

Many thansk for your quick support, ill review the links you provided to get the knowledge but for this case, i had thought already about Gio recommendation so will ask the final users to re-create de bookmarks. For now i think i wont take a biggest risk.

ChiragPradhan
Creator II
Creator II

@Giuseppe_Novello / @Gvmpro , yes one always needs to do a risk-benefit analysis in these situations. If it is just a few bookmarks, it is obviously easier to ask the user(s) to recreate them. But one needs to be sure that the users have not created other app objects like sheets and stories.

Depends on the business users & their locations, but sometimes asking business users to recreate all bookmarks is more difficult than a restore. In a way it is as unproductive for them as a downtime is. In fact, a downtime can be out of business hours which may not impact them at all.

Qlik Sense as a product is built well to handle such scenarios and if carefully done, a restore is smooth. Goes without saying that you should know what you are doing. So yes, get the knowledge first. To add, a restore would also prove DR capability of your systems. 

Best.