Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling a REST Web Service from application

Hi,

- Is it possible to execute a REST web service call from a Qlik Sense application ?

- In other words, even though I design an ETL load script to pre-fetch 99% of all the data I will need in an application, is it possible to access a small bit of data "live" while the application is running (ex: fetch weather data at a certain ad-hoc interval) ? 

- I have checked out the "Direct Discovery" feature here, but it seems to be mostly geared for Big Data Sources. Is this a correct assumption ?

Regards,

Michel

5 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You have at least three options:

- Write a Qlik Sense Extension

- Use Advanced Analytics Integration

- Use "Direct Discovery" - which will work perfectly well with Small Data Sources as well

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

You can connect to Web Service through REST Connector available in Qliksense

Refer REST connection POST method - QlikSense

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

That will only work in a load script and not "while the application is running".

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Petter,

- Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

One follow up question : How will developing an extension allow me to perform this kind of ad-hoc data access (instead of using standard connectors with ETL load scripting) ?

Regards,

Michel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I have been toying with the idea of creating a MashUp that gets all its historical data, up to close of play yesterday from a standard qvf data source via hypercubes.  But getting today's up to date data direct from the source database.

You could do the same with your rest api weather data.

This would have the overhead of writing a MashUp though.