Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Can a line chart be made to show continuous x-axis dimensions?

When dealing with time series data it is pretty common to have hundreds, thousands or even more data points.

I would like to plot such data in a line chart, but the chart always insists on showing the bottom slider.

It allows me to pan around in the data - which is great - but not what I want.

I want to see all the data at the same time. Yes, it would mean that only some labels on the x-axis are shown, but that's fine.

In fact, I would have assumed (hoped!) that Sense would be smart enough to recognise the "Date" field on the x-axis as being just that - dates - and allowing for a more dynamic viewing of data.

Sort of like the continuous option for charts in QV 11.

Is this possible in Sense? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!
7 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Goran,

Let me route your concerns and request to PM, as what you are stating - could be a great option for the line chart in controlling how it can display data.

In regards to date identification, there are planned improvements in this area.

One of our team members will follow-up with you.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable

Hi Goran,

Continuous Axis is not available in Sense today. Of course you can modify the script to add the missing dimensional values you would like to plot with either zeros or Nulls, but I know that this is not ideal.

We are looking into solutions here, but they may or may not end up being the exact same functionality as was in QlikView.

Can you give me more information about your particular use case? For example is your dimension time based? How many values in your dimension, dozens, millions? Is that dimension part of a natural hierarchy that you would want to move up or down in?

Thanks,

Dan

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi Dan,

I am trying to create a line chart that shows daily data for the past 15 months or so. I.e. a few hundred data points, but I could certainly envision data sets broken down into hours or even minutes, spanning over many months. In that case we'd be looking at (tens of) thousands of data points.

I want to show it in a single chart, with all 15 months visible at the same time.

True, the smaller, daily fluctuations will not be visible, but that's ok. The labels on the horisontal axis should ideally adapt themselves to the size of the chart. When the chart is maximised maybe every seventh or tenth (or whatever) date is shown, or maybe week numbers?

When the chart is smaller, months are shown horizontally.

I.e. what Excel does out of the box, and what could be done in QV 11 using continuous horisontal dimensions.

And yes, I could create a time support table with weeks, months and years that links to the date field in the main facts table, but if months are used to plot the data, the chart would of course loose a lot of detail. Which in this case is not acceptable.

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!
Not applicable

Hi Goran,

Thank you for the additional detail on your use case. We are planning to solve this exact use case in a future version of sense, but unfortunately the capability is not out of the box in the current version ofQlik Sense.

Regards,

Dan

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Ah ok. Good things come to those who wait, I guess...

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Dan English <qcwebmaster@qlikview.com>

Not applicable

Hi Mike - I'm wrestling with the same thing.  Looking at 20 years of daily data-points spreads the graph over a long slider.  I'd like to be able to zoom out and just see months or years along the X-axis without having to change the X-axis dimension.  The Y-axis automatically scales to fit the vertical.  An option to do the same with the X-axis would be helpful.

Thanks!

Tom

Not applicable

Hi Dan,

Any news on this? Being able to display vastly more data points would be welcome on bar charts as well.

As Göran points out with the line charts, this is the first thing every financial institution asks us to visualize (time series with many data points), and we currently cannot do it with Sense OOTB.

Cheers,

Kjetil