Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepak_km9886
Creator
Creator

Can we blend data in QlikSense as we do in Tableau

Hi Experts,

I am new to QlikSense please help me to resolve the below issue!!

I have two fact tables of different granularity, which I want to aggregate before joining in my Data load editor, in tableau it can be done using Data Blending option but QlikSense I am not able to perform the same. Please provide the alternative or work around for the same in QlikSense.

3 Replies
harvinderjohal
Creator
Creator

A few concepts around Qlik.

Qlik has a concept of working with data that brings tables into Qlik's memory model.  This allows Qlik to Associate data together from tables that can be coming from various sources (ie. a Table from SalesForce can be linked with an Excel Table and a SQL table and another Cloud based source, etc, etc..).  Because it's in memory, the resulting tables that are joined are seen as one holistic data model.

Tables can be linked and if the model is exactly the same between the tables (ie. identical field names), the tables will auto concatenate.  Here's an extract from the online help:  http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Subsystems/Hub/Content/LoadData/concatenate-tables.htm

Automatic concatenation

If the field names and the number of fields of two or more loaded tables are exactly the same, Qlik Sense will automatically concatenate the content of the different statements into one table.

Example:

LOAD a, b, c from table1.csv;

LOAD a, c, b from table2.csv;

The resulting internal table has the fields a, b and c. The number of records is the sum of the numbers of records in table 1 and table 2.

The number and names of the fields must be exactly the same. The order of the two statements is arbitrary.

Michael Tarallo hosts a weekly webinar and has recorded a full webinar video to explain more on getting started:  Qlik Sense - Getting Started Webinar 3.0 - YouTube

Associative:  http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Content/Videos/Videos-assoc-selection-model.htm

To get you started, take a look at the tutorial available from the online help:  http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Content/Tutorials/Tutorials-beginning-basics.htm

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

deepak_km9886
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the prompt response.

My issue is that both the tables are at different level/granularity(i.e. one is at month and other is at day level), so I need to aggregate the day level data set to month level before the tables getting joined (i.e. associative logic getting applied based on common field name) in QlikSense.

harvinderjohal
Creator
Creator

When your data model has multiple fact tables that contain different measures and only minimal common dimensions, you'll likely need to use a link table.  As your fact tables have data stored at different levels of granularity then you'll most certainly will want to leverage a link table.

Here's some info on Link Tables:

Concatenate vs Link Table

Qlik Tips: Rules for creating a Key/Link Table in QlikView

Re: Advantages of Link Table;

Henric posted an article some time ago on Fact tables with mixed granularity though instead of using a link table, he used applymap() to create the table mapping.  Fact Table with Mixed Granularity

Further information on Joins and Lookups:  Joins and Lookups

Linking two or more dates - example in QlikView:  Linking to two or more dates

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.