Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can you only have numbers returned in a KPI object?

I'm trying to return the Mode for the most frequent visitor, and can get that returned via the I.D column in my data using the Mode function to give me the correct number (thats how the IDs are represented, e.g 1, 2, 3, 4 etc), but when trying to set this as a concatenation to show the name instead as I have done in some of my charts using:

"IF ([Visitor ID] = [Visitor ID], [First Name] & ' ' & [Surname], null())"

as part of the function, I simply get a dash.

Is it possible to show text in this way as part of the kpi or must it be a numerical value?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies
sunny_talwar

Not sure I understand your expression

If([Vistor ID] = [Vistor ID], .... will always be true and will most likely have multiple First Name and Surname which can't be displayed all at once.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Not applicable
Author

I may have done an extra step that isn't needed to be honest, but essentially I currently have the code:

Mode(IF ([Date Expected] > Today() AND [Date Expected] < addmonths(today(),1) AND [Site] = 'X',([Visitor ID]), null()))

to return the numerical Visitor ID for the most frequent visitor due in the next month for a specific site.

Instead of the ID, I wanted the full name of the visitor instead which i have done in other graphs using:

([First Name] & ' ' & [Surname])

instead of the ID.

However, doing this in the KPI function returns a dash instead of the desired name, so was just wondering whether it was actually possible to return such a thing in a KPI object.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Is it possible to show text in this way as part of the kpi or must it be a numerical value?

I think it must be a numerical value.

Maybe just use a 'text and image' object instead?

sunny_talwar

I think text can be displayed Stefan: Display Simple Text String

Not applicable
Author

Ahh that works Thank you. Thought it'd be something simple like that if I was missing something.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

David - you may also want to check out this really cool KPI extension by alex.nerush

http://branch.qlik.com/projects/showthread.php?625-Simple-KPI&highlight=kpi

It has lots of customize-able properties

If you are new to extensions check out:

Qlik Sense - Introduction to Extensions (video)

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sunny T wrote:

I think text can be displayed Stefan: Display Simple Text String

Well spotted!

Still find this a bit strange, Auto formatting not able to display text values, and Custom formatting displays text values, but custom format properties only handle numeric display (separators).

Honestly, seems like a defect to me at one place or the other.