Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot add data, just spins

I am evaluating Qlik Sense for my organization but I am having trouble simply adding data from our database to work with. I am able to connect to the server, specify the owner, and select the tables, but when I click "Add Data" the program simply hangs for hours attempting to load. The tables themselves are not that large (one table has 159,000 lines and the other has 279,000 lines) but I am not able to add either one as a data source.

Is there anything that I can do to resolve this issue?

13 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Jessica,

What type of database is it that you are connecting to?

Are you using the Data Manager or the Load Script?  The Data Manager has some nice features, such as data profiling and auto-suggestion of joins, but it is not always as efficient.

If you are not yet trying it I would definitely opt for the Load Script.

Database loads can be affected by record locking, in exactly the same way as loading rows straight against the database, so that is worth checking.  The fact that two separate tables suffer the same fate this sounds less likely.

Connectivity between Sense and the Database could be an issue.  Is there any port-blocking between the two - it could be that the authentication is done on one port and the retrieve on another.

Hope that gives you something to try.

Steve

rittermd
Master
Master

It clearly doesn't like something.  I suspect that the tables you are adding may create synthetic keys or a circular connection.

Try adding one table and loading it and then adding the 2nd table and see if you can see what is happening.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Large synthetic key a good call, Mark

Using the Load Script gives access to the Debug option to bring in just a handful of rows and check for synthetic keys before moving on.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It looks like this is an issue with the iseries access ODBC driver -- VERY SLOW script to load from ISERIES ACCESS ODBC DRIVER in QlikSense April 2018

Sounds like we will just have to wait for a fix to be released.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ouch.  You may be able to find another ODBC driver for iSeries that doesn't suffer the same problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We have not had any success at this point. We know that our server setup isn't ideal and will make changes down the road, but we will need a BI solution that can work with our existing tools as we transition.

For now we are using Excel files instead of a live database connection to allow our evaluation team to get a sense of what they can expect if the data connection issues are resolved. Hopefully a fix will be rolled out soon enough for us to assess Qlik's viability from an IT perspective.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Jessica,

There is always a way around data extraction (even if it sometimes means interim files) but I appreciate it is not really what you want from a new tool.

I hope that you can see the advantages of Sense and look beyond this temporary blip in data extraction.

msfarooq87
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Steve,

I am having the same problem using Qlik Sense desktop and when I create new App and press "Add data from files and other sources", following is where it stucks for hours and nothing happens after that. Please helpQlik_issue.PNG

msfarooq87
Contributor III
Contributor III

Further I also cannot see the "Add Quick Data" option while in Data loader mode.No_Quick-Data.PNG