Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capabilites and functions of Qlik Sense

Hello everybody,

I already asked some questions in the forum, but i'm still unsure about some capabilites of Qlik Sense and if I can do certain things with it.

I have a project as an intern and would like to know/ do the following:

1. Is it possible to reproduce an exact copy of a already given report?

E.g. exact positions of numbers in a diagram or position of certain elements, or the font size of labels and legends?

Like the given graph, i want to make it look exactly like this, and for example with the combi-chart i was getting close to it, by defining the "Tranchenkäufe" as dots in the graph, but now i couldnt resize them to make them more visible.

Stadtwerke Preisentwicklung Grafik.PNG

or in this example, i tried to replicated tis chart,

Beschaffungspreis.PNG

And got to this:

Beschaffungspreis(offen gedeckt).png

Here for example i couldnt reposition the labels of the chart (38,95; 38,68; 39,69) to be within the bars. Also the color of said labels or the size.

So options that aren't directly possible with the user interface.

I saw that custom visualizations are possible, but don't know how far i can customize these. So is it possible with the custom visualizations to program a chart exactly the way i want and described above in every aspect? If so, where, and what programming language would be needed?

2. Can I generate several reports with 1 click in NPrinting, with one template, that applies different datasets and generates the reports with that. And with that i dont mean the template that is described here: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/September2017/Content/ReportsDevelopment/LoadFileasTemplate/Lo... , so something like a macro (sorry, I dont have a lot of experience in IT, so i might use terms wrong).And if yes, is it necessary to generate the diagrams seperatly before in Qlik Sense, or can this be done automatically? And can I also use a macro/template in Qlik Sense to generate the same charts every time? Or is the only option the custom visualizations, that i would apply and fill manually and for every report with different data.

3. I know that reports can be send to end-users that dont have a Qlik license, but can i integrate the reports online/ webbased on my homepage?

4. Can i bind the data source in Qlik Sense to an already existing databank, that synchronizes every night?

Most important to know would be if these things are possible at all, and if so a direction where to learn it.

With kind regards,

Paul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dionverbeke
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes and No,

Many of the requirements are possible, but not out of the box. Most of them require extensions or build it yourself.

In order to be true to responsiveness it will never be pixel perfect, but given its constraints it might come very close.

1. Build your own with picassojs, vega or d3 is probably your best choice, but it requires a lot of effort, technological expertise and persistence. Out of the box you have little control. Qlik has done it's best to make it simple and convenient for everyone, but it might not be what you want.

You would need html, css, javascript (jquery, requirejs, d3, picassojs, engine ..) and a touch of angular and a deep knowledge of the api's.

2. Yes, nprinting probably can do what you want, but you have to make a distinction between dynamic reporting and static reporting.

In the Qlik platform you have a few choices you need to make.

a. Online or Offlline (in the new release you can view standard apps on your iphone / ipad)

b. Standard Hub or Mashup (Mashup is more website like, but takes more expertise and money to build)

c. On demand Mashup or standard Mashup (do you want to build the visualisation in the hub and then in the mashup or do you want to build it directly with Javascript)

d. Nprinting (Static Reporting to pdf, ppt, xls, word)

All of these affect user expectations and experience.

3. Yes, generate them to html . Just as as a reminder these are static reports and are not interactive. To be interactive you need to have a license.

4. Yes.

This just scratches the surface...

Kind Regards,

Dion

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dionverbeke
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes and No,

Many of the requirements are possible, but not out of the box. Most of them require extensions or build it yourself.

In order to be true to responsiveness it will never be pixel perfect, but given its constraints it might come very close.

1. Build your own with picassojs, vega or d3 is probably your best choice, but it requires a lot of effort, technological expertise and persistence. Out of the box you have little control. Qlik has done it's best to make it simple and convenient for everyone, but it might not be what you want.

You would need html, css, javascript (jquery, requirejs, d3, picassojs, engine ..) and a touch of angular and a deep knowledge of the api's.

2. Yes, nprinting probably can do what you want, but you have to make a distinction between dynamic reporting and static reporting.

In the Qlik platform you have a few choices you need to make.

a. Online or Offlline (in the new release you can view standard apps on your iphone / ipad)

b. Standard Hub or Mashup (Mashup is more website like, but takes more expertise and money to build)

c. On demand Mashup or standard Mashup (do you want to build the visualisation in the hub and then in the mashup or do you want to build it directly with Javascript)

d. Nprinting (Static Reporting to pdf, ppt, xls, word)

All of these affect user expectations and experience.

3. Yes, generate them to html . Just as as a reminder these are static reports and are not interactive. To be interactive you need to have a license.

4. Yes.

This just scratches the surface...

Kind Regards,

Dion

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the quick response, it helps a lot already!

dionverbeke
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Maybe one addition: I assume you are using Qlik Sense Enterprise and Nprinting.

Desktop version have limitations regarding nprinting,  security and odag.

Please tag it helpful or correct if it was helping you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you elaborate a bit more on question 2.?

So i could generate several reports with a few clicks with like a macro?

Or would i first need to build the charts seperatly in Sense?

Is Qlik Sense suited for this kind of requirements, or should i maybe look for some other tool, or combination of Qlik and another, because I think Qlik Sense is more for the Data Analysis?