cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomasmercer
Contributor III
Contributor III

Changing data source from attached excel sheets to shared files sheets

I have several sheets which are part of the data load as attachments which I'd prefer to feed from a shared file server, as the server is now swept nightly for changes. Ideally I'd like to do this without having to redo any of the data model and subsequent downflows (e.g. master measures) as we are quite far down the rabbit hole with the data model.

I've tried adding data in the data manager with the exact same file names on the server however the app treats them as new files.

I've also attempted to 'unlock' the auto-generated data load editor and alter the FROM lib values however when I've gone to resynchronise the script (so that I can use data manager again) but this creates multiple auto generated sections and duplicated sections, and my script breaks.

Wondering if there's an easy way to make this change that I'm missing?

Labels (3)
3 Replies
JordyWegman
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Thomas,

If you sources, read you Excel files, are exactly the same. The only thing you need to do is changing the file paths as you mentioned.

Go to the script editor and there you will see all the 'FROM' statements. Change the sentence behind the from statement to your new location.

Example:

Load
FROM [YourSource].xlsx
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

// New one
Load
FROM [YourNewSourceLocation].xlsx
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

Jordy

Climber

Work smarter, not harder
thomasmercer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the response Jordy - is there any way to do this without unlocking the 'auto-generated' section?

I've attempted doing the update as per your post however when trying to re-synchronise I'm getting multiple auto-generated sections and strange errors breaking the load script. I can provide them if that helps but I'd prefer to avoid unlocking if possible.

Thanks,

Thomas

JordyWegman
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Thomas,

It should also work by naming the document exactly the same, but sometimes it sees it as new tables.

You can provide the script, I'll check it and send you the info. If you don't want this on the community,  you can also PM this.

Jordy

Climber

Work smarter, not harder