Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Josh
Contributor II
Contributor II

Count(If vs Count({<>}

Hello community,

I have a big question since it is drawling some big discrepancies in my thought process. 

I am trying to count with a condition...

I am under the impression I should be able to do this with either of the two lines of code listed below; however, I get two different results. So my question is how do the two lines of code act differently? Or is there something being done wrong on the back end that would have caused this. 

Count({<event_type={33,34}>}od_id)

vs

Count(if(event_type=33, od_id) or if(event_type=34, od_id) )

Note I have tried different variations of these. 

I have also tried to diagnose this with only one event_type and still get two different results.

Count({<event_type={33}>}od_id)      //will produce 102.1K

vs 

Count(if(event_type=33, od_id) )        // will produce 173.6K

Clarification on how these two formulas are working differently would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
6 Replies
sunny_talwar

Are the two fields coming from different tables in the data model of the app?

Josh
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

The fields are from two separate tables. 

Saryk
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Not sure it helps (and you said you tried variations on the formulae), but I do the if counts the other way around : 

if(event_type=33, count(od_id))

or

if(event_type=33, count(od_id), if(event_type=34, count(od_id)))
Saryk
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Count({<>}

aggregates over the set that you define there, disregarding any selection or filters you may have currently applied.

If you're showing data that is not the entire set you're loading in your table, the two functions will show different results - and that is normal behaviour because they aren't the same. 

For instance, I have a graph that shows the average value for the 3 months prior to every month ; so for month X it averages over the months X-2, X-1 and X. When I select a month though, the X-2 and X-1 values are filtered out and the average is then only over month X ; if I use 

RangeAvg(Above(Sum({<Month=>}[Data]), 0, 3))

instead of 

RangeAvg(Above(Sum([Data]), 0, 3))

the average is still calculated even when only one month is selected.

Josh
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Do you use this method in the front end? or the back end? I tried your code in the front end and just get a "-". Note that the fields are from two tables linked by a different ID

Saryk
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I use this front-end. Perhaps try this : 

if(event_type=33, count(od_id), if(event_type=34, count(od_id)), 0)

It is possible that there is a mix of types that results in undefined data, hence the ' - '