cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csh8428555
Contributor
Contributor

Create Calculated field in table

I have to make a series of apps with a lot of calculated fields. Many of the calculated fields build upon other calculated fields. It is becoming increasingly productivity killing to have to build every calculated field every time I need to use it in a sheet.

I was trying to create the calculated field in the Data Manager in the Tables using the same syntax as the expression in the sheets, but am getting this error. In this example I want the Sum of adds.essb.NET_ADDS when adds.essb.SCENARIOS = "Actual - User Adj". The expression shown works fine in the sheets. Table expression error.png

Is there a way to define the calculated fields in the tables so when I go to the sheets I can just reference the calculated fields instead of having to build the same expressions over and over again in the sheets?

Labels (1)
2 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi, that's 'set analysis' syntax, and it can only be usen on front-end, where you can make selections, not while loading data.

Moreover, a calculated field sets it's values row by row, and a Sum() needs a group by to summarize, so in data manager you only need: If(adds.essb.SCENARIOS='Actual - User Adj', adds.essb.NET_ADDS). And in front-end just do a sum of this calculated field.

rubenmarin

BTW, you can also create a master measure in front-end, create it once and darg it to the diffrent charts/tables you want to use them, is another way to centralize maintenance.