Qlik Community

New to Qlik Sense

Discussion board where members can get started with Qlik Sense.

qliksilva
New Contributor

Create Line Chart that Compares Selections Instead of Grouping Them

New to Qlik Sense, thanks for your patience.

I've created a line chart (see attached jpeg. I couldn't insert photo here, I got an error saying file type was forbidden for jpeg, png etc)

Fields: Result, Machine

The blue line is based on a measure I created with set analysis to show the percent of {Bad} results in the [Result] field.

• Expression: count({$<[Result]={Bad}>} [Result]) / ((count({$<[Result]={[Good]}>} [Result]) + count({$<[Result]={[Bad]}>} [Result]))
  • Possible results in field [Result] are {Good, Bad}
  • This line changes based on selections in filter panes etc, as it should

The red line is based on a measure I created with set analysis to show the percent of [Bad] results in the [Result] field made by machine {12} only.

• Expression: count({$<[Result]={Bad}, [Machine]={12}>} [Result]) / ((count({$<[Result]={[Good]}>} [Result]) + count({$<[Result]={[Bad]}, [Machine]={12}>} [Result])))
  • Possible results in field [Machine] are hundreds! And that's where my problem and question begins...
  • This line doesn't change but only appears when machine 12 forms part of larger selection, as it should

In theory, I could create a measure for every single machine (painful and not practical!), but I'm sure there has to be a better approach. Thoughts?

Ideally, I'd like a line chart that shows multiple lines, one for each machine that corresponds to their individual percentages so I can compare them to each other.

Ideally, I could select which machines to display individual lines for by selecting them from a filterpane/listbox. But, given qlik's associative selection process, selecting multiple machines just groups them together instead of selecting them for individual lines.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP
MVP

Re: Create Line Chart that Compares Selections Instead of Grouping Them

Agree with Andy - and I attached a sample app which also adds a total for all machines so you can have as a month-to-month reference...

2018-07-14 11_09_57-_#QC 2018-07-14 Create Line Chart that Compares Selections Instead of Grouping T.png

6 Replies
ogster1974
Honored Contributor II

Add machine as a dimension to get each machine its own line in your chart without hard coding.

Add your machine 12 as a reference line in add ons.

MVP
MVP

Agree with Andy - and I attached a sample app which also adds a total for all machines so you can have as a month-to-month reference...

2018-07-14 11_09_57-_#QC 2018-07-14 Create Line Chart that Compares Selections Instead of Grouping T.png

qliksilva
New Contributor

Wow, thank you for you quick response, Andy.

I was wondering if adding multiple dimensions was possible, because I still need time on the x axis as well.

In the data section, it seems like I can only have one dimension, the add button is grayed out. I can only add alternative dimensions, which is not the desired result to show all lines together.datasection.JPG

qliksilva
New Contributor

Petter -- thank you for your timely response. This chart looks amazing and EXACTLY what I think I need.

Please see response to Andy - I can't seem to add more than one dimension. I need time and machine. It looks like it only allows me to add alternatives.

Separately, I would love to open the sample qvf file you attached but I can never open these. The link just prompts me to look up online where/how to open that file type and I get stuck there. Any guidance on how I can open that sample app?

Thanks again

datasection.JPG

MVP
MVP

After you have downloaded the app you can move the .qvf file into this folder:

Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps

Where Documents is you Documents folder....

For me it would look like:

C:\Users\pts\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps

but you have to replace pts with your username....

qliksilva
New Contributor

Petter -- thank you for all your help. I got it!

Replying to my own message in case this helps someone else. Solution seems strange, but it worked.

Initially, I couldn't add an additional dimension to my chart as mentioned above. I copied Petter's chart from his app into my app and then I was able to edit the second dimension. However, when I updated the fields with my apps' field names the lines turned gray and no field names were listed in the chart legend. See grab:

graylines.JPG

So, I tried to create a line graph from scratch, and then I was able to add more than one dimension even though I was restricted before. I thought that was strange. In the end, it worked, which is what matters. I added the time dimension and the machine dimension and the percentage measure and that was it. See grab:

finallines.JPG

Thank you all for your time.

Additional note for anyone else regarding opening qvf files. I imagine Petter's instructions work great for the desktop version. I am using the enterprise server version which required me to import his app. However, I couldn't personally do that, I had to request an admin developer to do so, j FYI. Once the admin imported it, I could access.

More on importing:
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/June2018/Subsystems/ManagementConsole/Content/import-apps.htm

Community Browser