cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hasan_Dajani
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a dashboard from survey data

I work with survey data. I am interested in knowing how to visualize a multiple response question (select all that apply). The raw data is housed in several columns in the raw data – each column corresponds to a response choice for the question with either a 1 (selected)or blank (not selected). I would want to visualize the percentage of respondents who selected each response choice, across the full list of responses. Therefore, the sum of the percentages for all response choices would be greater than 100%. Please let me know how I can visualize a multiple response question in a QlikSense dashboard. Thanks.

Labels (4)
10 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

My typical approach would to do a CrossTable load to turn the response columns into rows.  That gives you flexibility to analyze however you want. 

-Rob

Hasan_Dajani
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks Rob - would you be able to send an example of an excel file with what you are describing? I'm not sure I understand.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Let's turn this around. Can you post a small sample file of your data and I'll show you the script to process it?

-Rob

Hasan_Dajani
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Sure. Attached is a small sample data set with 9 respondents. Q5 is a multiple select question and the 1s indicate that a response choice was selected. Thanks!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

See the attached QVF to get you started.  It shows the crosstable load which results in a data structure that gives you the most flexibility.  I did not break the multi-select questions out separately, but you can see from the chart on the sheet that pct of respondents can be calculated. 

You may need to do some more work or have more questions depending on what your final display needs to show, but hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction.

-Rob
http://masterssummit.com
http://qlikviewcookbook.com
http://www.easyqlik.com

Hasan_Dajani
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks, Rob. Unfortunately, I don't know how to open the file you sent. I am using QS Enterprise and placed the file on my computer's hard drive (...\Qlik\Sense\Apps) but can't see the app in my hub. Any suggestions? or can you send me the steps to be able to open the file?

Vegar
MVP
MVP

You will need to import it through the Qmc. Https://ServerName/and/Apps

Or you can download Qlik Sense desktop for free and open it there.
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you have a ...\Qlik\Sense\Apps folder on your hard driver, then you probably have Qlik Sense Desktop installed.  If so, open Qlik Sense desktop from your start menu.

-Rob

Hasan_Dajani
Contributor
Contributor
Author

I was just able to access the file you sent, Rob! So will now dig in and see what you did. Thanks again!