Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Creating crosstab chart on Qlik Sense

Hello all,

I am new on Qlik and I am stuck on a chart that I thought would be easy to create:

I need the rows on my cross table to be sum of fields (each row a sum of a Boolean field (0/1) of my data set) and the columns are subsets of the data set over where the sum needs to happen. I have a flat data set with several fields, but as an example of the few I need for this summary cross tab:

bo_admitflag  bo_enrolledflag    date_admit    enroll_year

1                       1                     12.01.2015     2016

the rows and columns on the cross tables would be

Row                         201x EOY Admits                              201x EOY Enrolled                         201x YTD Admits                               

sum(bo_admitflag) for previous EOF  sum(enrolledflag) for previous EOY  Sum(bo_admitflag)  for YTD .

sum(bo_admitflag)

sum(bo_enrolledflag)

The EOY will be all prior to current year selected and for the YTD, the sum has to be up to the current day and the year in question; the last columns on this chart will be for the current year and current date.

See attached image of the kind of cross table I need.

The Qlik Sense desktop table chart allows me to create the aggregate functions but there are only columns on it; The pivot chart does not allow me to create aggregation expression as row only measures.

Thanks, Alice

TrackingTabExamp.PNGmbaeyensdigvijay‌@

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Digvijay_Singh

Hi,

So here is the approach you can move forward.

Take one calculated dimension as -

=Valuelist('Students','Gross Deposits','Withdrawn Deposits','Net Deposits')

and write all your expressions as ( This is just a sample for 2016 EOY Admits)-

Pick(Match(Valuelist('Students','Gross Deposits','Withdrawn Deposits','Net Deposits'),

'Students','Gross Deposits','Withdrawn Deposits','Net Deposits'),

Sum({<[Enroll_Year] = {2016}>} bo_admitflag),<Exp for Gross deposits>,<Exp for With Deposts>....just like that)

So for each column you will write one statment like above. If you need more rows, you need to add value in your valuelist dimension.

It will appear as below -

Capture.PNG

Let me know if you are not able to proceed.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Digvijay_Singh

Looks quite complex, if you can share sample data and expected output, I can try on this. Its difficult to try something with attached image.

shivanandk
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi, Is your number ending 7729 a cell #. I have texted you a message. Can you reply it.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Digvijay,

The expected outcome is the image attached;it is a web site graph, so I am attaching the export to excell (mirror of the image); I am also attaching the app file where tracking is the cross tab chart I am trying to create. but not correct;

I so appreciate your help. I have another chart that I am struggling with (Qlik idea one), I can explain that to you later.

Thank you,

Alice

Digvijay_Singh

Hi,

So here is the approach you can move forward.

Take one calculated dimension as -

=Valuelist('Students','Gross Deposits','Withdrawn Deposits','Net Deposits')

and write all your expressions as ( This is just a sample for 2016 EOY Admits)-

Pick(Match(Valuelist('Students','Gross Deposits','Withdrawn Deposits','Net Deposits'),

'Students','Gross Deposits','Withdrawn Deposits','Net Deposits'),

Sum({<[Enroll_Year] = {2016}>} bo_admitflag),<Exp for Gross deposits>,<Exp for With Deposts>....just like that)

So for each column you will write one statment like above. If you need more rows, you need to add value in your valuelist dimension.

It will appear as below -

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Digvijay_Singh

I see one of your new message in my mail box but don't see it here, strange.

This is what I see in new mail message -

Digvjay,

When I create the measure column with the Pick expression, even though there is no error on the editor window when i hit apply, the invalid dimension shows up on the sheet TrackingCom.

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it.

Alice

See the updated file where I was trying this, I think you should be able to find what is causing this after comparing with my pick expression.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks,

I deleted my post, because I figured out if I created as a measure, it worked and translated into a column. Now I am struggling with the expressions;

One is that I dont want to hard code the year of enrollment on the expression, but let it be what the user(EU) picks up; the EU could choose 2 or 3 years to see the comparisons;

Two is that my Year to date (YTD) column will have to factor the system date(day). How do I do that?

Thanks again,

Alice

Digvijay_Singh

I thought you closed the whole thread as you marked your own post as answered.

You don't need to hard code the year, I just did it in sample, you should use {<Enroll_Year={$(=Max(Enroll_Year))}>}

set expression for max year and {<Enroll_Year={$(=Max(Enroll_Year)-1)}>} as previous year. So your selected year will be max year and selected year - 1 will be the previous year. If no year is selected then maximum year of your data will be the max year.

For YTD, usually we use Yeartodate function to set the flag field in script to avoid this calculation in front end as it slows down the chart loading a bit ,but you can use this in front end also and can observe the performance -

Something like this in set expression

{Your date field={"=Yeartodate(Yourdate)=-1"}>}

Also keep in mind there is always a '=' sign between set expression field and element list. I think I saw '>=' somewhere.

Digvijay_Singh

There are other parameters in yeartodate function to handle situations in case your YTD month starts from other than January.

'Qlikview 11 for developers' is a great book to understand point in time reporting concepts. Most of the functions and scripting techniques are applicable to both Qlikview and Qliksense.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Digvijay,

I am not  finding the online documentation (pdf guides) to be very helpful; A very brief and basic syntax with no good example or very basic ones to go with them.

I am closing this thread and if I have a question with the YTD function without an asnwer, I create another thread.

Any other books you recomend for beginners who are trying to learn the systax and the power of Qlik lingo?

Alice