Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demarest
Contributor III
Contributor III

Cumulative binomial distribution in equation editor

Hi, I am new to Qlik Sense and was not able to figure out how to calculate cumulative binomial distribution in the equation editor.  I would like to have this value in a table.

Qlik sense does not have discrete binomial distribution function either, but that can be calculated using existing functions as per below:

combin(n,x)*pow(0.05,x)*pow(0.95,n-x)

n and x are integers representing the number of observations and the number of statistical test exceedences at a 95% confidence interval.  The above formula works for discrete outcomes, for example, the probability of having exactly 5 out of 100 results be exceedences (n=100 and x=5 plugged into above), however, what I want is the cumulative probability of 5 or fewer exceedences, which would be the above with (n=100, x=0) + (n=100, x=1) + ... + (n=100, x=5).  It would seem like this could be achieved with a loop, but this does not seem to be available in the editor or an ability to create it in a custom function, something like:

cbd = 0

for i= 0 to x

cbd = cbd + combin(n,i)*pow(0.05,i)*pow(0.95,n-i)

next i

Any help with this would be appreciated

17 Replies
demarest
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the suggestion, it looked promising and works fine until I try to replace one of the parameters in the ValueLoop function with a variable (then I get "Error in expression").  The idea here is that the number of exceedences and the number of observations can change from query to query or fund to fund.  I consulted the docs on ValueLoop and did not see anything about whether or not it can take a variable, but when I try it does not seem to be allowed.

=Sum( combin(num_obs,ValueLoop(0,2))*pow(0.05,ValueLoop(0,2))*pow(0.95,num_obs-ValueLoop(0,2)) )

(OK)

=Sum( combin(num_obs,ValueLoop(0,var_exc))*pow(0.05,ValueLoop(0,2))*pow(0.95,num_obs-ValueLoop(0,2)) )

(Error in expression)

Let me know if you have any other ideas or if I'm doing something wrong.

demarest
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sunny, Sorry that made the example a little more convoluted, those numbers are just parameterizing the random numbers (column D) so that they would be scaled similarly to the returns of one of the funds I am analyzing.  You can ignore those.

sunny_talwar

This seems to be working with dollar sign expansion of the variable:

=Sum( combin(25,ValueLoop(0,$(=var_exc)))*pow(0.05,ValueLoop(0,$(=var_exc)))*pow(0.95,25-ValueLoop(0,$(=var_exc))))

demarest
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the reply.  I was unable to get this approach to work and will come back to it later.  My version of Qlik Sense hassles me when I try to open a file someone else created, so I did not open your file.  I'll read up on the dollar sign expansion and equal sign notation in your formula, in the meantime I will use the SQL-Server solution.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The parameters to valueloop do not allow variables or expressions, anything that need to be evaluated, AFAIR.

But you can use dollar sign expansions like a preprocessor text replacement.

The correct syntax may be dependent on how you are defining your variables (talking of QV variables, not statistics).

The Magic of Variables

The Magic of Dollar Expansions

If you intend to use this as part of a table chart and you need to have the valueloop()  be based on a dimensional field value, then I don't think this will work.

demarest
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your help in any case.  This is what I am doing.  I am only wanting the value to show up in a table.  Current approach works as per below, just thought might be more elegant way to do it in QS.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Seems like you are calculating your numbers currently in the script using the SQL code, and you want to replace it with QS code.

Try

Input:

LOAD portfolio,

pDate,

var_up,

return,

num_obs,

var_exc

FROM

[.\BinomCDFexample.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, header is 3 lines, table is Sheet1)

WHERE LEN(TRIM(portfolio));

Stats:

LOAD portfolio,

TotalExceedence,

NumObservations,

Sum(Binom) as CumBinom

Group by portfolio, TotalExceedence, NumObservations;

LOAD portfolio,

TotalExceedence,

NumObservations,

combin(NumObservations,iterno()-1)*pow(0.05,iterno()-1)*pow(0.95,NumObservations-(iterno()-1)) as Binom

While iterno()-1 <= TotalExceedence;

LOAD portfolio,

sum(var_exc) as TotalExceedence,

Count(portfolio) as NumObservations

RESIDENT Input

Group by portfolio;

demarest
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Stefan, you helped me figure out how to do it without using the SQL function.  It seems though, that Qlik does not let you do "resident" style manipulations on data loaded from a select statement (Loading data from a previously loaded table ‒ Qlik Sense)

Extract from link: "Example 1: Transforming data loaded by a SELECT statement

If you load data from a database using a SELECT statement, you cannot use Qlik Sense functions to interpret data in the SELECT statement. The solution is to add a LOAD statement, where you perform data transformation, above the SELECT statement."

However, it seems I can do it with two SQL statements as per below. One caveat is that when using SummarySet data in the table, I use AVG() for everything except Binom where I use SUM().

LIB CONNECT TO 'SQL2012PROD';

//full set with data for chart
FullSet:
LOAD portfolio,
pDate,
    var_up,
    var_down,
    Capital,
    pct_return

sql select A.portfolio,
pDate,
    Val_At_Risk_Pct * 2 as var_up,
    val_at_risk_pct * -2 as var_down,
    pct_return,
    Capital,

from
  {SQL omitted};

//summary set for data with table

SummarySet:
LOAD portfolio,
    Observations,
    PositiveExc,
    NegativeExc,
    TwoTailExc,
    combin(Observations,iterno()-1)*pow(0.05,iterno()-1)*pow(0.95,Observations-(iterno()-1)) as Binom

While iterno()-1 <= TwoTailExc;

sql select portfolio,
   sum(num_obs) as Observations,
      sum(var_pos_exc) as PositiveExc,
      sum(var_neg_exc) as NegativeExc,
      sum(var_exc)  as TwoTailExc
from  {SQL omitted}

group by portfolio;