Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data load editor - Auto-Generated Section

Hi members, I am very new to Qlik Sense Desktop, having only discovered it recently.

I have been watching many videos and reading some printed material.

Having downloaded the product and installed, I have been trying to replicate some of the examples I have seen.  But I do not get the same results, specifically with the Data Load Editor.

I have tried loading my data, just Excel and CSV so far, and that seems to go well.  However when I go into the Data Load Editor to edit the data or maybe create new fields I get an unexpected result.

If you look at attachment 1, I get an Auto-generated Section which is locked.  And all the fields are shown in square brackets.  From the videos and printed material I was expecting to see a separate unlocked section for each data source, as per attachment 2.  And here the fields do not have square brackets.

I can find no reference in Qlik Sense to "auto-generated section" and why I am getting this result; so different to what is shown in the videos and in print.

Is anyone able to put me on the right track, please.

Thanks,

Alek

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ralf-Narfeldt
Employee
Employee

The auto-generated section is the result of using the new Add data feature that was introduced in Qlik Sense 2.0.1.

Primarily, you should use Data manager to edit or remove these tables, and Data manager will auto-generate updated code in that section.

If you want to do further manual improvements on the generated script you can unlock it like Arthur  describes. But be aware that after doing this, you can't edit the tables in Data manager anymore, only preview. All further changes need to be done in Data load editor.

If you use Add data again, it will create a new auto-generated section.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
arthur_dom
Creator III
Creator III

That is a new feature. To unlock the auto-generated script click on unlock(on right-top of script) and keep going!

Good luck with your studies!

Ralf-Narfeldt
Employee
Employee

The auto-generated section is the result of using the new Add data feature that was introduced in Qlik Sense 2.0.1.

Primarily, you should use Data manager to edit or remove these tables, and Data manager will auto-generate updated code in that section.

If you want to do further manual improvements on the generated script you can unlock it like Arthur  describes. But be aware that after doing this, you can't edit the tables in Data manager anymore, only preview. All further changes need to be done in Data load editor.

If you use Add data again, it will create a new auto-generated section.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for helping me with this issue.

When I unlock the Auto-generated section all the fields are shown (in the Data Load Manager) enclosed in square brackets.  Examples shown in the videos, the fields do not have these square brackets.

Is this something new in Qlik Sense 2.0.1?

If I modify or add to the script I presume that I have to include the square brackets.

Is there some significance to the square brackets being used?

Thanks & regards,

Alek

Ralf-Narfeldt
Employee
Employee

The brackets are actually quotation marks to ensure that the field name is handled correctly if it should contain symbols that disturb the parsing, like spaces or minus signs. In the auto-generated code brackets are used for all fields to be safe, so if you modify the script you may or may not need to keep the brackets.

You can find more about quotation marks here in the help:

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.0/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/use-quotes-in-scrip...

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Ralf,

I appreciate your response and helping my understanding.

I will do some more examples and see how it goes.

Regards,

Alek

ivo_petrov
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi,
How I can Add data again in order to create a new auto-generated section?