Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrAHarv
Contributor
Contributor

Defining geographies

Hello - 

I am new to Qlik, and I'm trying to use a map chart to visualize data I have by US State and County.  I am having some trouble with how Qlik is reading my data.

1) Qlik recognizes and maps every US state in my data, expect for Georgia.  Instead the European country of Georgia is mapped

2) When drilling down into each state to look at county-level data, a lot of counties outside of the selected state are mapped, because they share the same name as a county within the state (an example is when I drill down into counties for California, the entire state of Nevada is highlighted because there is a Nevada county, California)

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please let me know if I can provide more context.

Thanks!

Labels (4)
2 Replies
Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

Hi MrAHarv,

To get your data better defined you will have to use the scope function in the map properties. 

1) To get the map to show Georgia as a state and not country you will have to turn of auto on scope for location and specify what type of data you have. 

With scope to auto

map_auto_1.PNG

With auto turned off for scope and the data specified to be admin level 1 (states for US).

map_auto_2.PNG

2) Check my post at https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-Qlik-Sense/How-to-map-a-county-point-layer-successfully/m-p/153... where I go into detail how to use either a string or a secondary field to narrow down the geography lookup.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Patrik. 

Silviya_Angelova411
Contributor
Contributor

That was very helpful!