Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Developers POV - Comparison (QV vs Qlik Sense)

Hello,

Now, while Qlik Sense 1.0.0 is officially available, I would like to know, from a developer's point-of-view (POV) a comparative analysis what are possible and not possible between QlikView and Qlik Sense. Please note, I am aware of : view-or-sense. I am looking for something that tells something like:

AreaQlikViewQlik SenseRemarks
Set AnalysisYES?
MacroYES

?

GroupYES?
Alternate StateYES?
TriggerYES?
Something ....NOYES

This could be from experience or an official document. Also note, visual presentation/user-experience differences are known.

Thank you.

12 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

My understanding to date

SET ANALYSIS  ->  Fully available in Sense

Macro -> No. Sense has been written in HTML5/Angular javascript.  Extensions only now.

Group -> Drill down group is part of 'dimensions' . Cycle is on the roadmap

Alternate State ->  not now. unsure of roadmap (need to check)

Trigger -> same as alternate state

tresesco
MVP
MVP
Author

Thank you Jonathan, for your input. Since I did not try my hands much on sense, this sort of comparatives would really help me a lot. What I understand, with sense extensions are going to play a BIG role. I am looking for some more inputs, if people can enlarge the list been started by you.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

i think initially yes - extensions will fill a gap. For example, a pivot table extension has been published to branch.qlik.com (the new developer site). But there will be 3 updates to sense next year with a steady update of features that will alleviate some of that.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Jonathan,

What about Section Access, Pivot Table, any new charts in QlikSense?

Variables & Buttons to show and hide objects?

Qlikview Workbench and Sharepoint webparts will work in Qliksense?

Can we use existing Qlikview Server Licenses for QlikSense?

Do we need to lease license from QlikSense server for Qliksense desktop or any other methods?

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable

Have a look into these Videos, they explaining most of our Questions

New to Qlik Sense Platform Videos

Please be aware that Qlik Sense is a different Product and not the next Version of QlikView, see also this Blog Post

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/07/29/view-or-sense

tresesco
MVP
MVP
Author

Thank you Daniel Zanders for your attention. Videos are helpful for sure. I am aware that they are different products. But by saying so, we might not be spared from comparing them. As I already mentioned, that -from developer's point-of-view, this analysis(knowing before hand) would help instead of keeping trying things in sense that we do in qlikview when they would not be supported in qlik sense, that would save our time and effort. This could even be proven as a point to decide the right product(sense or view) for our organizations as well.

Do we still have any Qlik Sense Reference Manual?

Not applicable

My answer was related to Jagan Mohan as he had several general Questions (Licensing, Workbench etc) and not to the general Topic.

The "Reference Manual" will be available at https://help.qlik.com/ shortly for Qlik Sense. Actually it just have the Desktop and Developer Help online.  

tresesco
MVP
MVP
Author

Well, so I request you for a reply to the general topic please.

Thank you.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Daniel,

Is there comparison table between the Qlikview and Qliksense, so that it is easier to for our organizations either Qlikview or Qliksense. 

What are the future implementations in Qliksense?

Hope you understand. 

Regards,

Jagan.