Hi All
Good evening

what is the difference between Variable and Master Items,

Thanks
QS dev
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi Raj, those are two very diffrent entities, variables can be used in expressions, also in expressions configured for master items. Master items are a way of centralizing dimensions and measures.

I sometimes used master items that only contains a variable, and the variable contains the real expression. Master Items can be dragged to create new charts and variables not.

All about variables: Variables

An old video about master items:Creating Master Items (video)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi Raj, those are two very diffrent entities, variables can be used in expressions, also in expressions configured for master items. Master items are a way of centralizing dimensions and measures.

I sometimes used master items that only contains a variable, and the variable contains the real expression. Master Items can be dragged to create new charts and variables not.

All about variables: Variables

An old video about master items:Creating Master Items (video)

nsetty
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Raj,

In addition, check out this video - Sorting a stacked bar chart - Qlik Sense - YouTube

Variables usage in MasterItems, Measures

madhavi_rajawat
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Raj ,

Variable and Master item  both are different entity .If  i explain in simple words.

Variable :Suppose you have one expression like "sum(Sales)" that you are going to use in other expression also, so rather then writing expression again and again ,we can create variable for expression sum(Sales) then we can use that variable  in rest of the expression, where we want to use sum(Sales).

Master Item :Suppose you have created bar chart  in one sheet ,if you want to use that bar chart again in same or different sheet,we have to copy that bar chart from one sheet to same sheet or different sheet but  if you create master item once ,you can use that bar chart everywhere in our dashboard .just you have to   drag and drop that bar chart  from master item into sheet .