Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ValKorel
Contributor II
Contributor II

Difference between actual month vs previous month

Hello,

I need to make the difference between last month and previous month and I have the following expression:

Sum({<HIST_DATE={'$(=Max(HIST_DATE))'}>}Aggr(AMOUNT_APPROVED,CONTRACT_NO,CUSTOMER_NO,HIST_DATE))-Sum({<HIST_DATE={'$(=MonthEnd(Max(HIST_DATE),-1))'}>}Aggr(AMOUNT_APPROVED,CONTRACT_NO,CUSTOMER_NO,HIST_DATE))

When I don't have any date selected  in a filter the equation work , but if I select a certain date the formula only return the value of the selected date (first expression) but not the previous month (second expression).

The HIST_DATE  is in format 'M/DD/YYYY'

Can someone help me?

Kind regards,

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ValKorel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I found the solution. I change the previous month formula with this and it returns the values of previous month when I select a certain date:

Sum({<HIST_DATE=>}Aggr({<HIST_DATE={'$(=monthend(addmonths(vMaxDate,-1)))'}>}max(AMOUNT_APPROVED),HIST_DATE,CUSTOMER_NO,CONTRACT_NO))

View solution in original post

12 Replies
edwin
Master II
Master II

i would create a variable 
vMaxDate=date(max(HIST_DATE),'M/DD/YYYY')

and in your expression use {<HIST_DATE={'$(vMaxDate)'}>}

addmonths for the previous use {<HIST_DATE={'$(=addmonths(vMaxDate,-1))'}>}

ValKorel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for the quick answer but it doesn't work. Still the same problem.

When I use addmonths, does not return the last day of previous month for MaxDate on a 30 day month (e.g: vMaxDate='6/30/2022' previous month is '5/30/2022' instead of '5/31/2022'

Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Hi there,

For date thing like this i always tackle it with flags in script, Makes the set analysis much easier.

IF(MONTH(TempDate)= MONTH(TODAY(1)) AND YEAR(TempDate)=YEAR(TODAY(1)),1) AS CURRENT_MONTH,

IF(MONTH(TempDate)= MONTH(ADDMONTHS(TODAY(1),-1)) AND YEAR(TempDate)=YEAR(ADDMONTHS(TODAY(1),-1)),1) AS PRIOR_MONTH,

Then the set analysis would be

SUM({<CURRENT_MONTH={1}>}AMOUNT_APPROVED)  - SUM({<CURRENT_PRIOR={1}>}AMOUNT_APPROVED)  

Add in any Aggr you may need

edwin
Master II
Master II

it wasnt clear that you needed to compare end of months.  first get the end of month for your max - that is if the current is also end of month:

vMaxDate=monthend(date(max(HIST_DATE),'M/DD/YYYY'))

you can still use the same expressions.  if you use addmonths with -1, you get prior end of month

as you can see below, addmonths takes care of 31, 30, 28 end of months:

edwin_0-1658322187120.png

ValKorel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry if i wasn't clear. I need to compare only EOM. 

Still the main problem remains. If I do not select any EOM date the comparison act EOM and prev EOM works, but if I select any EOM date it doesn't work anymore. It returns 0 for the previous EOM.

edwin
Master II
Master II

are you saying there is a field called EOM?  and your user selects a single value of EOM? 

bec if the user selects the current EOM, then why do you need to get the max of a date field to get the current EOM?  also what is the relationship between HIST_DATE and EOM?

pls clarify what fields are selected and what the relationships are between the date fields as that is crucial to your problem. 

maybe a picture of your data model would help so there is no guessing of missing info - saves us all time and effort

ValKorel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I used EOM as a abbreviation for end of month dates. in not another field.

I wil explain all the elements:

I set the following variables:

For the max date:

vMaxDate=monthend(date(max(HIST_DATE),'M/DD/YYYY'))

For Current month:

vApprovedMax=Sum({<HIST_DATE={'$(vMaxDate)'}>}Aggr(AMOUNT_APPROVED,CONTRACT_NO,CUSTOMER_NO,HIST_DATE))

For previous month:

vApprovedMaxPrev = Sum({<HIST_DATE={'$(=Monthend(vMaxDate,-1))'}>}Aggr(AMOUNT_APPROVED,CONTRACT_NO,CUSTOMER_NO,HIST_DATE))

The HIST_DATE are:

ValKorel_0-1658331401354.png

If I use vApprovedMaxPrev with MonthEnd the result is:

ValKorel_2-1658332219617.png

If i use Addmonths:

Sum({<HIST_DATE={'$(=addmonths(vMaxDate,-1))'}>}Aggr(AMOUNT_APPROVED,CONTRACT_NO,CUSTOMER_NO,HIST_DATE))

the result is:

ValKorel_3-1658332350264.png

My date has to be 5/31/2022 not 5/30/2022

Now if i do not select any HIST_DATE in the filter  the calculations are mare:

ValKorel_4-1658332689111.png

when I select any HIST_DATE (e.g: 6/30/2022) the result is:

ValKorel_5-1658332800619.png

The previous month is not calculated, also the current vs previous return only the current month value.

The formula for Current vsPrevious is: 

$(vSumaAprobataMax)-$(vSumaAprobataMaxPrev)

ValKorel_6-1658332952625.png

edwin
Master II
Master II

i think i understand the situation.  firstly, as your data is all monedend, you dont need monthend function when computing for maxdate:

vMaxDate=date(max(HIST_DATE),'M/DD/YYYY')

and in your expression use {<HIST_DATE={'$(vMaxDate)'}>}

and i see where you are coming from if the prior month has more days in it than the selected month.

use this {<HIST_DATE={'$(=monthend(addmonths(vMaxDate,-1)))'}>} - this ensures you get the end of prior month

also not sure why you think you need to use AGGR as you are setting a variable AGGR makes this slower.  if i understand it you just want the sum of AMOUNT_APPROVE

you can just use

sum({<HIST_DATE={'$(=monthend(addmonths(vMaxDate,-1)))'}>}AMOUNT_APPROVE)

edwin_1-1658336782295.png

edwin_0-1658336757689.png

probably posting sample data would have made the exercise a lot easier

ValKorel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

I've changed the formulas and the problem still persist. Also I've eliminate the AGGR function and now the formula work fine.

I put the  AGGR function is because in data I have 2 or more lines with the same  AMOUNT_APPROVED on CUSTOMER_NO, CONTRACT_NO and HIST_DATE.

The AMOUNT_APPROVED  i need to be summed one time not sum of the all lines.

My data extras is: 

HIST_DATE CUSTOMER_NO CONTRACT_NO MATURITY_DATE AMOUNT_APPROVED
30/06/2022 00000000 100CLC0000000000 202403                                    494,796
30/06/2022 00000000 100CLC0000000000 202206                                    494,796

There is another way to do that?