Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Different data for multiple sheets

Hey Qlik community,

I'm new to Qlik and BI solutions in general and therefore I have a question concerning different data for multiple sheets. Here's what I want to accomplish: Let's say I have 1 main office and 4 branch offices. Each office has it's own sales and HR data. I'd love to create an app per office and have the sales and HR data in their respective sheets. The reason I strife for this approach is because I don't want 2 Apps per office (main office sales, main office HR // branch office 1 sales, branch office 1 HR) etc. Since my situation requires multiple "branch offices", this will quickly get out of hand.

Is there a way to make the dataset specific to the worksheets within an app? If not: Is there an efficient workaround to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidŠtorek
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

what version of Qlik do you have?

By default you can select which table you want to work with simply by selecting its name in filtre by table. Than only corresponding fields are displayed. I am using QS April 2018.

selection.png

The second option is to use Qualify statement in load script which lead to add prefix of table name to column name like you mention table1.COS.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

With the use of SECTION ACCESS you can have two applications and the two applications will show the relevant data for the various offices and branches. You will have to group your users into groups relevant to the offices and branches and use the SECTION ACCESS in your load script to limit the data shown for each group.

Here is some documentation that goes into detail on how to do it:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/June2018/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Deploymen...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/June2018/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/Security/manage-security...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

If I understand the instruction correctly I need to have Qlik Sense Server in order to create users and groups. Unfortunately, I am using Qlik Sense Desktop on which your solution does not seem to be possible. I have thought about a different solution, though: What if I could "assign" column names to their respective table? Let's say I have 2 tables (HR and sales) within an app. If I want to do an analysis, the columns are displayed like this in alphabetical order:

column1

column2

column3

column4

What I would like is:

Database: "HR"

column1

column2

Database: "Sales"

column3

column4

That way, even when I have hundreds of columns it's not an issue since I always know where they belong to.

Is that possible in Qlik Sense Desktop?

ramkrishna86
Creator II
Creator II

Yes, You can handle the same by creating data model accordingly.

DavidŠtorek
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

do I understand it well that you want to create only 1 QS app for each office where will be all data? And you would like to know if it is possible to load multiple different data sources and connect it? And you want thata HR can't see sales data and vice versa?
Basicaly in QS you can load whatever combination of data what you want and combine it as you wish. You can have two separate data tables for HR and for Sales, you can connect it if it has something in common and if you wish. You can restrict access to data based ou user (as mentioned above).

If you will be more specific maybe I can help you more

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

yes, I only want to create 1 QS app for each office where all the data (HR,Sales etc.) will be loaded into. I know that I can connect the data with ease. My issue lies within the Insights overlay (see screenshot ).

Screenshot.png

I don't necessarily have to restrict access, since I'm the only user that does the analysis. So the only issue I have is the visibility. If I have 10 tables within 1 app, the insights overlay would just write all available columns down in alphabetical order.

Is it possible to group the column graphically within the overlay? So the the left of the insights interface you'd see:

HR

column1

column2

Sales

column9

column10

Customer satisfaction

column89

column23

instead of just blandly listing them with just an alphabetical order (this is what it would look like at the moment):

column1

column2

column9

column10

column23

column89

This is an issue, because I want to do a department specific analysis. For example: I want to do a sales analysis, therefore I require sales data. Now the question is: Which column contain sales data?

In the categorized solution above you'd instantly know, that column9 and column10 contain sales data. But with the current situation, you'd not be sure if column1, column2,column23 or even column10 contain the sales data, unless they are named accordingly.

edit: I just found out that QS does something similar when 2 column have the same name. Such as: COS and table1.COS. If this would also happen, when columns are named differently, it would solve the problem.

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Steve,

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

DavidŠtorek
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

what version of Qlik do you have?

By default you can select which table you want to work with simply by selecting its name in filtre by table. Than only corresponding fields are displayed. I am using QS April 2018.

selection.png

The second option is to use Qualify statement in load script which lead to add prefix of table name to column name like you mention table1.COS.