Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
semgem12
Contributor III
Contributor III

Dimension colours in stacked bar charts Qlik Sense

Hello

I have a bar chart that measures sales across a number of financial periods. For each period I want the bar to be broken down by customer category (i.e. stacked bar chart). So the bar chart has two dimensions, Period and Category. On the sheet, the period is a filter. The user can select a period and other objects on the sheet reflect various values for that period. But within the bar chart I want all periods to be shown and so I have the measure expression set as

sum({$<Period=>}SalesValue)

When no period is selected each bar is shown as a stacked bar chart reflecting the various categories,

Pic1.png

However, when a period is selected, only the selected period shows the categories,Pic1.png

Is it possible to make all periods show the categories when a period is selected?

Periods are 4 digits, first 2 are the year, last 2 represent the period in the year. E.g. 1710 means period 10 of year 17.

Categories are text, e.g. 'Shops'. There are 6 categories.

Thanks, appreciate any help that anyone can give.

17 Replies
OmarBenSalem

That's it !

semgem12 , try to replicate such a thing in ur applicaion

semgem12
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yes that works, thank you very much! Thanks to Omar too.

In case this helps anyone I created an inline table to describe the RGB colours for each type of category,

Load * inline [

Category,CategoryRed,CategoryGreen,CategoryBlue

Shops,180,190,250

Restaurants,200,210,250

Supermarkets,220,230,250

];

Then in the bar chart properties, appearance, colours and legend, I set Colours to Custom and By expression. The expression is

rgb(only({<Period>}CategoryRed),  only({<Period>}CategoryGreen),  only({<Period>}CategoryBlue))

Make sure to tick 'The expression is a color code'

santhoshkasam09
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I have the same problem here and used the technique you gave and it worked. But the Legend is getting disappeared. Can you please help with this?

Thank you.

Regards

Santhosh Kasam

semgem12
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Can you include an image of the problem?

santhoshkasam09
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Semir,

06-12-2018 6-57-29 PM.png

If you observer it does not indicate which color belongs to which bucket. That is the LEGEND is Missing. Please help.

Thank you

semgem12
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Santosh

Just looked back at the Qlik Sense app where I used this approach. I'm afraid I wasn't able to include a legend within the chart. I was lucky in that I had only 3 categories and so created 3 KPIs that only showed text .... on the KPI I set the Data to be the required text, e.g. 'Shops' and then on the appearance tab switched off conditional colours and then set the colour to the required colour for that category. I used KPI because it gave more flexibility in colour choice rather than a text box.

santhoshkasam09
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Semir,

This can be done in a different way too. I just found today. Create a master dimension and define the colors for each value in it. Then add the dimension to the chart. Mark the colors and Legend to Auto mode. Then everything works perfectly.

I think it's worth trying. Thank you.

Regards

Santhosh Kasam

semgem12
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That's great, thanks Santhosh I'll give it a try.