Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disable objects auto-resizing

Hi,

Let's say that you have created Qlik app on your own computer, then you send it to your friend/coworker and it doesn't look good: objects are resized, some text is hidden, you can't see axis labels etc.

It occurs due to difference of screens resolutions/sizes. Qlik Sense auto-resize the objects, but does it really bad.

Is there any way to stop auto-resizing objects in Qlik Sense?

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

No - It is inherent with Qlik Sense's responsive design.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Terrible...

But thanks for confirming

rittermd
Master
Master

It's not terrible if you want people to run the apps on an iPad or phone.  Everything has to be responsive for that to work.

The best rule is to design your app using the most common resolution of your users.  You can control that in the browser.  Chrome as a plugin.  Others probably do also.

Then you are good 95% of the time.  If a user has an extreme resolution setup then they might see some things like you described.  You can't please everyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Assuming that the most common resolution is 1366x768px I would like to make one bar chart 800x400, the second one as 500 x 400. The third line chart is 1000x350.

If someone has smaller screen resolution:

No auto-resizing:

You can just scroll the browser window to see all elements.

The objects don't crush, every single label or title is visible in that way I have designed it.

Auto-resizing:

Qlik hides parts of charts.

Data labels are hidden.

Graph looks ugly - they are resized.

Axis titles and lables are hidden.

This dashboard doesn't make any sense: no data labels, no axis.. just some lines or bars without reference points.

Oh.. the assumption is incorrect - in QlikS you cannot even design something as A x B size.

Here is an example:

1. designed resolution

d_res.JPG

2. (a little bit) smaller resolution

b_res.JPG

rittermd
Master
Master

It can be frustrating.  But it is what it is. 

I design my apps based on an iPad resolution(1024 x 768).  That seems to work most of the time for all of my users.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Responsive design is an important feature of Qlik Sense, this is what the vast majority of Sense customers want.  When you use design Sense application, you have to keep it in mind.  If your users have multiple screen resolutions, test in each.  Tell users that they can always view any object in "full screen".

If the static design is a high priority for your users, you probably need QlikView instead of or in addition to Qlik Sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The problem is that the responsive design doesn't work properly in QlikSense. In fact I could say that it is not responsive.

If your users have multiple screen resolutions, test in each.

and then? Assuming it is tested and doesn't look correct in some resolutions...?

QlikS cannot deal with that.

What is more, you cannot test all resolutions for X users (as you don't know who will use your dashboards in the future)

For example, in Tableau you have three options that you can set: fixed size (static), auto, and range(you can set min and max size). This solution is very useful and I expected similar in QlikSense...

jakobjensen
Contributor II
Contributor II

Generally I just find Qlik Sense extremely non-intuitive; I would say the stuff they made seems "random". 

Furthermore the documentation is some of the worst I have ever (!) seen and used. It is on the edge of frustrating how badly the documentation is - documentation for learning e.g C++/C#  (which should be somehow more difficult than a drag-n-drop software) which are 1000 fold more useable are easily found. 

MatiasH
Contributor II
Contributor II

This! Thanks! For a moment I thought I was the only one not liking this non sense aproach and having difficulties using the documentation. Sandly I'm stucked with QS for good as the company I work for choose it (even when they use SalesForce for CRM)