Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Disadvantages of Qlik's Associative Modelling? IF any

I understand that there's a huge conflict of interest in asking this:

But what are the disadvantages of Qlik's Associative modeling? (I don't think there are any)

My co-worker was grumbling on about how Qlik could associate data on it's own without, as she put's it, "my express approval of the logic in data modelling". (She's new to the qlik environment!)

So guys, what is the best possible way (and also the most euphemistic way) to answer her that Qlik's AD is very powerful and in fact helps make businesses make more meaningful decisions?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Subra,

I am partial to this of course, but since I have worked with other legacy BI tools I have something to compare it to, I would not want it any other way.

Check these resources out and let me know if we are getting closer to satisfying her concerns, I think our new visual data prep in 3.0 including the ability to define your own relationship or override the recommended associations will help answer some of them.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Subra,

I am partial to this of course, but since I have worked with other legacy BI tools I have something to compare it to, I would not want it any other way.

Check these resources out and let me know if we are getting closer to satisfying her concerns, I think our new visual data prep in 3.0 including the ability to define your own relationship or override the recommended associations will help answer some of them.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Appreciate the resources you've gathered for me.

So, If I were to explain to my co-worker without confusing her much, could I be wrong in suggesting that the way QlikView associates the data is tantamount to "performing a full outer join"?. Where every entry is preserved. (Or, is this an oversimplification of the actual idea behind Qlik's AD?)

I personally never had to get into these microscopic questions, because Qlik's handling of data was so versatile and intuitive.

But your suggestion helps.

Thanks

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

YES, that is a great way to explain it, especially for those who may be used to SQL based tools and data modeling. We tend to not use that term often when describing the modeling experience, because we like to differentiate ourselves from the legacy BI tools and sql-based query tools.

Glad I could help.

Stay well my friend.

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik