Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Drill down and grouping dimensions

Good afternoon,

I'm relatively new to Qlik and by watching the demos and mto‌'s videos I've been able to create some dashboards. I'm playing with the drill down and grouping dimensions and was wondering if they can be used combined in the same chart?

Using the cars data set of the grouping video, I'd like to create a bar chart starting with a grouped dimension called manufacturer (using the wildmatch command), and drill down to the specific name of the car. I was able to create both grouping and drill down dimensions but when creating the chart, I can not find the grouping dimension on the options displayed, only the original dimensions of the data set.

I'd appreciate if someone can help me with this.

Regards.

Luis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Just do following:

Create Drill down by adding:

• first dimension - Country
  • Second dimension (here click on fx icon (in line where you put name, right next to X icon) and enter there your long "if (Wildmatch ...)"  expression. Thath expression will replace Name field

• dd+ctry-mfg.JPG

see if this works

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

In Chart,while selecting dimensions or measure at the start of the list you will find Master Items and then Original fields from tables.

Else You can drag your Dimension/Measure from Master Items Section(Left side Panel) and Select add as a Measure/Dimension.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What is a grouping dimension - do you just mean regular dimension / field or some sort of calculated dimension?

Drill Down is simply set of dimensions put together in certain order which then can be applied accross charts.

It is difficult to understand what are you trying to achieve. Could you please put some screenshots what dimensions you have created and where do you put them?

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi, 

You can reffer following link.

QlikView | Expressions | Drill Down - YouTube

Thanks,

Not applicable
Author

What I want to do is a nested drill down using a grouping dimension. Here's a print screen to better explain what I'm trying to achieve.

I created a new grouping dimension called manufacturer and want that to be within my drill down, which will start with country and then go down to manufacturer. However, when creating the drill down, I cannot see the new grouping dimension called "manufacturer". See attached pictures to see if I better explained myself.

drill down.JPG

grouping dimension.JPG

As you can see I was able to create other drill down dimensions and used them in other charts, but they didn't include a grouping dimension created by me.

Thanks for your help.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lech, please see my response in Shraddha's thread.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your response Pooja, I forgot to mention I'm using Qlik Sense...

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Luis,

There are 3 options:

• Option 1: this is very easy, what is a field used to build Manufacturer dimension? Is it for example: Name? If it is a "Name" field then when creating drill down you have to refer to original Field Name , but not to dimension from Master Objects
  • Option 2: bit more complicated. i assume Manufacturer is a Subfield from Name field. Using first "Subfield" to create AMC, Audi etc.. Then When Creating Drill Down instead putting Manufacturer from master dimensions, simply click on F(x) icon and type: SubField (Name,' ') . It will be calculated dimension
  • Option 3: If you have an access to script/edit script. Go There, create extra field in your datamodel using the same subfield fucntion  Subfield(Name,' ') as Manufacturer field, and  then use it in your Manufacturer dimension and drill down.

Just to confirm my suspicions could you please edit Manufacturer dimension and screenshot it for me. thanks

hope this helps

cheers

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

You cant add drill down dimension to create another drill down.

You will have to add same sequence of original dimensions as that of Drill down created

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lech,

I was able to add name (which is the field with the complete name of the cars) into the drill down dimension as you told me. See picture below:

dd ctry-mfg.JPG

The drill down functions properly. However the problem I have right now is that when you drill down into a specific country, for example the USA, there are a lot of cars, and here is where I'd like to see them grouped according to the dimension I created under the name "manufacturer" (just as it is shown in the lower right chart):

dd ctry-mfg2.JPG

I'm not sure I understood what you mention on your second point, here's how the new manufacturer dimension was created:

mfg.JPG

And regarding your last point, I don't have access to the script.

Thanks for your help.

Luis