Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacqueshol
Creator
Creator

Dynamically choosing dimensions for graphs / tables

Hi there,

I have noticed in one of the Qlik Sense demos (https://sense-demo.qlik.com/sso/sense/app/0be2146a-8ea0-4aca-8853-200f957f7307) on the 4th tab (Details) that it is possible to dynamically select dimensions for graphs / tables.

I have a simple bar chart showing the sum(Sales).  However, I want to be able to dynamically select whether I want to see the graph by weekday or sales rep by clicking on the relevant dimension in a list box (?) on the page.  The demo also allows you to select which measure to display in the graph. It would appear to me that the available options for dimensions and measures are presented in two different list boxes.

So, my questions are:

1. How do I create a list of available dimensions (and measures) as it was done in the demo?
  2. How do I create such a graph / table to be able to choose which dimension I want to use on my x-axis?

I have been searching the internet, but haven't found a solution yet.  Can anyone please point me in the right direction or even better to a link that explains the above in a bit more detail?

Thank you,

Jacques

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is quite easy to achieve what you are looking for with using a disconnected table (non-associated or data island) to select a dimension and use the selection as a reference in the dimension. I have created a minimalistic app to show how it works:

Screenshot from 2018-03-26 17-44-52.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-26 17-45-31.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-26 17-46-03.png

View solution in original post

19 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Interesting,

I already used an extension called QuickAdHoc, but I had issues with it in the past..

Maybe omarbensalem‌ know exactly what is the extension used on the example above ?

jacqueshol
Creator
Creator
Author

I am hesitant in using an extension as I am not using the desktop version of Qlik Sense.  I know one can do it by adding "alternative" dimensions and measures, but the execution is messy.  I really like the way that it was done in the demo app.

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

pretty sure it is an extension used on the app above.. and they are designed to be used also on the server, there is a section called extension on the server, It is all about scalability in the case of server upgrades..

jacqueshol
Creator
Creator
Author

Ahh, ok. Thanks anyway.  Take care.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is quite easy to achieve what you are looking for with using a disconnected table (non-associated or data island) to select a dimension and use the selection as a reference in the dimension. I have created a minimalistic app to show how it works:

Screenshot from 2018-03-26 17-44-52.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-26 17-45-31.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-26 17-46-03.png

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

thank you petter-s for this.

It is like creating the ad-hoc on qlikview..

do you have an idea on the extension used on the demo app above ?

OmarBenSalem

To achieve this there is 2 ways:

1) create inline tables containing dimensions and measures and use them to pick what u want to see:

exp:

load * inline [

Dim,DimID

Week,1

Month,2

];

put this new field "Dim" as a filter and in u chart:

as a dimension:

if(DimID=1,UrWeekDayDim,UrMonthDim)

2) the second way is to use this extension (a very good one I always use):

Qlik Branch

jacqueshol
Creator
Creator
Author

Ahh fantastic.  That's great.  Thank you very much.

jacqueshol
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Petter,

Last question on your solution.  It works really great for Dimensions.  I also want to be able to select which measure I want represented in the graph.  However, I am having problems with the script as I don't know how to define a measure in the Data Load Editor.  I've tried a similar approach as to how you did the Dimensions. E.g.

];

MEASURES:

LOAD * Inline [

Measures

Avg([Time Out])-Avg([Time In])

sum(StagNo)/count(Distinct Date)

]

In the above,

Avg([Time Out])-Avg([Time In]) calculates the average time a vehicle spends offloading at a depot

and

sum(StagNo)/count(Distinct Date) calculates the average number of orders per day.

Thanks again for your assistance,

Jacques