Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
microwin88x
Creator III
Creator III

ETL in Qlik Sense

Hello,

We actually have QlikView and Qlik Sense products.

In QlikView we have an environment with DATA, STAGE and APP.

In Qlik Sense, we have our applications made in Sense but DATA&STAGE are consumed from QVDs, generated by QVW files (QV).

I wanted to know if that is a good way to implement it, or how could we achieve to get our own DATA&STAGE layers for Sense only?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe this is a matter of personal preference, and you might get different opinions from different people...

I'd say - if you already own both QlikView and Qlik Sense licenses, and your team is equally good with both tools, I'd keep my ETL processes in QlikView and develop the visual layer in the tool of your choice per application. My reasons for that are:

- While the script language is nearly identical in both tools, QlikView allows a bit more advanced functionality - for example, existing wizards for loading and transforming "dirty" spreadsheets, etc...

- QlikView Publisher is a lot more versatile than Qlik Sense tasks - you can use triggers, pass variables, and use many other advanced features that were not implemented in Qlik Sense.

On the other hand, Qlik keeps developing and enhancing the visual data loading functionality in Qlik Sense. If you'd like to leverage these new "drag-and-drop" data loading capabilities, you might prefer to implement a similar ETL structure in Qlik Sense.

Cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills at the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming to Boston, MA this October!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe this is a matter of personal preference, and you might get different opinions from different people...

I'd say - if you already own both QlikView and Qlik Sense licenses, and your team is equally good with both tools, I'd keep my ETL processes in QlikView and develop the visual layer in the tool of your choice per application. My reasons for that are:

- While the script language is nearly identical in both tools, QlikView allows a bit more advanced functionality - for example, existing wizards for loading and transforming "dirty" spreadsheets, etc...

- QlikView Publisher is a lot more versatile than Qlik Sense tasks - you can use triggers, pass variables, and use many other advanced features that were not implemented in Qlik Sense.

On the other hand, Qlik keeps developing and enhancing the visual data loading functionality in Qlik Sense. If you'd like to leverage these new "drag-and-drop" data loading capabilities, you might prefer to implement a similar ETL structure in Qlik Sense.

Cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills at the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming to Boston, MA this October!

mathew101
Contributor II
Contributor II

Can I ask a question, I come from using Power Query (also known as Get & Transform) & M Language in Excel and Power BI; my company however is now using Qlik Sense. I found the ease of use and the power of the Power Query & M Language amazing, I'm finding it hard to transition to the load editor.

If you have used both, can you give any suggestion... is there a tool like Power Query that can be used with Qlik Sense?

Regards,
Mathew