cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varmekontrol
Creator
Creator

Extracting fields from filename, removing zeroes and converting date/timestamp

I am pretty sure if this question has already been asked in some sort in other topics, but apparently, I have not gotten the information needed to solve my problem, so I am hoping someone in here can help me solve the problem, and save some time.,

I want to import all files from a folder and convert the file into fields that I can use to analyze the amount and content of the files in that folder.

A typical file would look like this -> 0006037356_50548136_valuereport_20170831023203_2105.csv

I then want to extract the information from this file name so I have fields with

• 0006037356 (Unique hardware no)
  • 50548136 (Unique meter no)
  • 20170831 (Date)
  • 023203 (Timestamp)

Right now I am doing the extraction by using this load.

LOAD

FileName() as Filename,

Mid(FileName(), 1, 10) as import_elvaco_enhed,

Mid(FileName(), 12, 😎 as meter_no,

Mid(FileName(), 33, 😎 as import_date,

Mid(FileName(), 41, 6) as import_time_stamp

FROM [lib://Mobistyle/*]

(txt, codepage is 28591, embedded labels, delimiter is ';', msq);

QUESTION 1:

I want to do the following.

• 0006037356 (Remove the zeroes in front of the number)
  • 50548136 (If there are zeroes in front of the number, they should be removed)
  • 20170831 (Convert this to YYYY-MM-DD)
  • 023203 (Convert this to HH:MM)
  • (Create new field containing the size (KB) of the file)
  • (If possible, have a look in the file to see if the file is blank, or with information. Maybe filesize would suit the same need?)

QUESTION 2:

I only want to look at the filename but for some reason when loading the data, I get all the millions of lines included in the files, and even if the data load uses the time, and displays that millions of lines have been imported,  I am not able to use any of that information?
(Not that I need it, just think it a waste of time and storage)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

The following should cover most of your needs:

load

filebasename() as F1,    

num(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 1)) as F2,

num(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 2)) as F3,

date(floor(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'))) as F4,

time(frac(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'))) as F5,

filesize() as F6

from YourCSV;

If you don't want to load the content of these files else just their meta-data you will need a for each loop over dirlist/filelist. You will find a good example within the help by for each and here: Loops in the Script.

Of course each field which is created will consume some ressources but Qlik stored only the distinct fieldvalues of a field and therefore you don't worry about it.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

The following should cover most of your needs:

load

filebasename() as F1,    

num(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 1)) as F2,

num(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 2)) as F3,

date(floor(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'))) as F4,

time(frac(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'))) as F5,

filesize() as F6

from YourCSV;

If you don't want to load the content of these files else just their meta-data you will need a for each loop over dirlist/filelist. You will find a good example within the help by for each and here: Loops in the Script.

Of course each field which is created will consume some ressources but Qlik stored only the distinct fieldvalues of a field and therefore you don't worry about it.

- Marcus

varmekontrol
Creator
Creator
Author

Buityful work

It works like a charm, and I now have a bunch of new tools (expressions) to play with.

THANKS!

varmekontrol
Creator
Creator
Author

I was to existed before testing the date part of the load

The date conversion only gave me Null values.

Udklip.JPG

load

filebasename() as Filename,

num(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 1)) as import_elvaco_meter_no,

num(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 2)) as meter_no,

date(floor(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmm'))) as import_date,

time(frac(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmm'))) as import_time,

filesize() as import_filesize

FROM [lib://Kildeparken/*]

(txt, codepage is 28591, embedded labels, delimiter is ';', msq);

marcus_sommer

You changed the format-code for timestamp#() which is a converting-function and not a format-function. Therefore try it with:

date(floor(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss')), 'DD.MM.YYYY') as F4

time(frac(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'))' 'hh:mm') as F5

- Marcus

varmekontrol
Creator
Creator
Author

I figured it out. It works in both ways.

The reason it did not work, was because it was looking at the _valuereport_

1                    2               3                    4         

0006037356_50548136_valuereport_20170831023203_2105.csv

date(floor(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss')), 'DD.MM.YYYY') as import_date,

time(frac(timestamp#(subfield(filebasename(), '_', 3), 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss')), 'hh:mm') as import_time,

Thank you for your help, it NOW works like a charm, and actually did to start with