Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psh
Contributor II
Contributor II

Filling a column by text string search in another column

Hello:

I am making a simple table and I want to create and fill a new column based on a text string search in a different column.

For example:

If you find "banana" anywhere in the text string in a field in column A, put "banana" in column B

ELSE

If you find "rutabaga" anywhere in the text string in a field in column A, put "rutabaga" in column B

ELSE

put "other" in column B

Unfortunately, I cannot depend on "banana" or "rutabaga" being in the same place in the text strings in column A (or even at all) so I can't just count characters from the beginning or end.

I'm brand new to Qlik Sense (three weeks!) so I hope I have explained myself clearly.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Taoufiq_Zarra

I just re-tested it, it works in the editor.

Through :

=if(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*')=0,'Other',pick(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*'),'banana','rutabaga'))

Regards,

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

(you can mark up to 3 "solutions") 😉

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Taoufiq_Zarra

Hi,

if I have understood your need correctly

the line you'll need in your script is:

pick(Match( -1,(SubStringCount(A, 'banana')>0),SubStringCount(A, 'rutabaga')>0),'banana','rutabaga') as B,

for example on the example in load script :

Test:

Load pick(Match( -1,(SubStringCount(A, 'banana')>0),SubStringCount(A, 'rutabaga')>0),'banana','rutabaga') as B,* inline [
A
bla blba banana jhjh hjhjh
kljlhkh sdhhq test banana lksdjh
lkdhf fdkjfh gdh rutabaga jkskdj
kljhsd kjshqlkh 
];

the results are:

Capture.PNG

or

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

psh
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

That's not quite what I want--it's more like I have a table visualization that has a column that looks like this:

asdfbananahjkl
qwerrutabagauiop
bananazxcvbnm
asdfghjklpeach
cilantroqwertyuiop

And I want to create a new column so the table visualization looks like this:

asdfbananahjklbanana
qwerrutabagauioprutabaga
bananazxcvbnmbanana
asdfghjklpeachother (or none or whatever)
cilantroqwertyuiopother (or none or whatever)

So I'm looking for something to put in the fx expression editor of the second column that searches for selected strings in the first column and applies a few if/else conditions to populate the second column.

Am I making sense?  Like I said, I'm new to Sense--I hope I'm not asking the question wrong.

Thanks!

Taoufiq_Zarra

Welcome to Qlik!
in Qlik everything makes sense, just Qlik 🙂

try to change the script with this new version:

if(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*')=0,'Other',pick(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*'),'banana','rutabaga')) as B

the load script will be :

Test:
Load if(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*')=0,'Other',pick(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*'),'banana','rutabaga')) as B,* inline [
A
blablbabananajhjhhjhjh
kljlhkhsdhhqtestbananalksdjh
lkdhffdkjfhgdhrutabagajkskdj
kljhsdkjshqlkh 
];

and thus :

Capture.PNG

Sans titre.png

Regards,

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

psh
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks!

I ended up using just this in the expression editor for the new column::

=pick(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*'),'banana','rutabaga')

I couldn't get the larger script:

=if(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*')=0,'Other',pick(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*'),'banana','rutabaga')) as B

to work - I'm sure I messed up some syntax somewhere.

The shorter version works - it's just places a '-' in fields where neither banana or rutabaga are available, which works for my purposes (for now).  

Taoufiq_Zarra

I just re-tested it, it works in the editor.

Through :

=if(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*')=0,'Other',pick(wildmatch(A,'*banana*','*rutabaga*'),'banana','rutabaga'))

Regards,

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

psh
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

That did the trick!

Thanks!