Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Financial Modeling for Qlik Sense?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best or preferred way to post, as someone new to Qlik and very interested in learning more about Qlik Sense, so going to give it a try --  Are there any guidelines for developing financial models on Qlik's associative framework?  Especially with Sense, it would seem that some really great solutions can be developed for typical issues specifically faced by corporate finance, such as:

• FP&A - For financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, projections, etc.  ...Here, I've started to find some interesting resources on the Qlik Community sites, but many have been related to QlikView.  Any Sense preferred references?

• Business Valuation - Arguably, the most important details of any business are in their business model and/or business valuation, which can determine potential funding sources & cost-of-capital, among other concerns.  ...I think I've learned enough about how to load data that I can (maybe) develop a valuation model, either based on cashflow or income projections, but are there any templates or guides out there, especially for Sense?

• Financial Modeling (General) - Several days ago, the "ModelOff" competitions took place (http://www.ModelOff.com), in which many data professionals used Excel to develop advanced models for valuations, M&A, LBO's, IPO's and other such purposes.  ...these are all in such demand, for discovery, as well as other key analytical processes.  Any info related to QlikView or Qlik Sense is out or links/references to bookmark?

Sorry if these have been posted by others, and maybe I just haven't yet found some of best places to check (sure seems like there's so much out there in the community!)  But, since these are particular areas of interest, wanted to start by asking.  Thanks.

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try this space: Qlik FinServ

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
simondachstr
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

There are a couple of financial functions available in Qlik Sense out of the box, e.g.

- BlackAndScholes Model

- FV/PV/PMT/Rate/nRate calculations

You can read more about them here:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.1/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/FinancialFunctions/financial-...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi-

Yes, I've done a little bit of looking around on that space, but don't think I saw anything specific for either QlikView or Qlik Sense.  I'll keep looking though.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Martin,

Appreciate the reply and the link.  Yep, there sure are a number of great & useful functions in Qlik Sense for finance, as well as for handling times & dates, etc.

But, I'd like to ask if there are any guides or resources for analyzing Business Models in Qlik?  Or, say you had developed something in Excel (which is customary in the U.S.), would you then load it in to analyze or investigate key metrics? 

It seems like this would be the optimal approach, then would be able to leverage, for example, the Financial App Toolkit by Paul Van Siclen, or perhaps others.  ...So, would it be preferred for you start a business model in Excel and then load it to Qlik?  Or, is there some other way to combine, say, a couple of years of financial statements, a couple of years of budgets/projections, and then be able to forecast cashflow?

Thanks,

-Garrett