cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwinwitvoet
Contributor III
Contributor III

Find Prev Quarter (Pick in Time)

I have a data table with Metrics and Value per Network.

Each Quarter is labeled with a QuarterID, inspired by the Pick In Time post here (The Magic of Set Analysis - Point In Time Reporting • Blog • AfterSync)

Somehow I don't get it to work, meaning : per row displaying a specific Quarters value and Previous Quarter's value

FindMaxPrevQuarter.png

My current expressions are

• Prev Q  : Max(QuarterID) - 1
  • Max Q : Max(ds_value)
  • Max 15-Q3 : max({<YY_Q={'15-Q3'}>} ds_value)
  • Max 15-Q2 : max({<YY_Q={'15-Q2'}>} ds_value)
  • Max (Prev Q) : max({$<QuarterID = {$(=Max(QuarterID) - 1)}>} ds_value)
  • Max (Prev Q)(1) : Max(aggr(max({$<QuarterID = {$(=Max(QuarterID) - 1)} >} ds_value), ds_value))

What are the appropriate expressions for Max 15-Q3, Max 15-Q2, Max (Prev Q) to get values in all the Cells?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The set of a set analysis expression is calculated at the chart level, not the row level. So max(QuarterID)-1 will be 8058 for each row in the chart. So any expression using {$<QuarterID = {$(=Max(QuarterID))}>} - will only return a value for the row where QuarterID is 8058.

If you don't need the quarter as a chart dimension then simply remove QuarterID and YY_Q from the chart.

If you need the quarter as a chart dimension then there are several solutions. The easiest in my opinion is an AsOf table. See this document for more information and examples: Calculating rolling n-period totals, averages or other aggregations.‌ In your case you'll need to link each quarter only with its previous quarter.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The set of a set analysis expression is calculated at the chart level, not the row level. So max(QuarterID)-1 will be 8058 for each row in the chart. So any expression using {$<QuarterID = {$(=Max(QuarterID))}>} - will only return a value for the row where QuarterID is 8058.

If you don't need the quarter as a chart dimension then simply remove QuarterID and YY_Q from the chart.

If you need the quarter as a chart dimension then there are several solutions. The easiest in my opinion is an AsOf table. See this document for more information and examples: Calculating rolling n-period totals, averages or other aggregations.‌ In your case you'll need to link each quarter only with its previous quarter.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
swuehl
MVP
MVP

For the two static max values you can use TOTAL qualifier:

• Max 15-Q3 : max(TOTAL {<YY_Q={'15-Q3'}>} ds_value)
  • Max 15-Q2 : max(TOTAL {<YY_Q={'15-Q2'}>} ds_value)

To get max ds_value from the previous quarter, you can use chart inter record functions:

=Above( Max(ds_value) )

edwinwitvoet
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks gwassenaar‌ and swuehl‌! Both of your answers where very helpfull.

The TOTAL qualifier helped me displaying the cells in allt rows for Max 15-Q3 and Max 15-Q2.

For the previous quarter value, I actually did use the AsOf approach, since the actual data table has much more entries and dimensions.

Both is working fine now, perfect!

Thanks

- Edwin