Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ari_B
Contributor II
Contributor II

Functions in expression along with words?

Hello!

I feel like this is a simple question but I am having trouble finding the answer. 

I am trying to write an expression in a chart (specifically a KPI) and I would like to include a function as well as a string of words. 

I want this label to read as the date (MM/DD/YYYY) but due to some sort of mix-up with Qlik and the data, the Year field created by Qlik is divided into 4 sections per actual year and lists a date in April of 2020 as occurring in the year 57208.  (I assume this has to do with Quarters).  I have a field called YEAR that has the accurate year of the incident listed but contains no other data concerning the rest of the date. 

To get around this, I want to have several functions representing the Month, Day, and Year of the most recent data point's date.  Or one for MM/DD and one for YYYY or one for YYYY and some text explaining the year. 

I have tried to put together a function and words together but I am unsure how to make functions appear as values/words in an expression (or if it is even possible). 

Here are some things I have tried and the results:

=Max(YEAR) + 'some words'  ---->  null (aka -)

='Max(YEAR)' + 'some words'  ----> null (aka -)

=Text(MAX(YEAR)) + 'words' ----> null (aka -)

=MAX(FieldForDateWithIncorrectYear - [FieldForYearAutoCalenderYear]) ----> 365

Does anyone have any advice for me in going about this or if there is an easier way to do this?  Am I going in the wrong direction with this?

Let me know if you have any questions or if I was unclear of the situation. 

Thank you so much!

-Ari

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lisa_P
Employee
Employee

The character used to concatenate expressions and strings of text is the Ampersand '&', not the  plus '+'

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Lisa_P
Employee
Employee

The character used to concatenate expressions and strings of text is the Ampersand '&', not the  plus '+'

Vinicius_121
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello Ari_B,

I think your date field is probably in EPOCH time, which means your have to do some transformation to get the right data, try this article to see if it will help:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/App-Development/Exactly-How-Qlik-Sense-Convert-Epoch-Time/td-p/125896

Ari_B
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

That definitely helps! 

Now I just need to figure out if I can correct my date data so I may present it appropriately. 

Thank you very much!

Ari_B
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I did not even know this was a possibility! 

I will look into it, thank you for your help!