Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suturb
Contributor II
Contributor II

GENERIC LOAD IN QLIK SENSE DATA MANAGER

hi All, I'm using QS desktop; I have a table containing a column of which I would like the values to be individual columns. This is basically the inverse of a 'crosstable', and I understood from the QS fora that this can be solved using the 'generic' statement in the load script. 

i'm, however, a total amateur and have so far been relying only on the interface of QS data manager. in this interface, there's assistance for the crosstable feature (called 'unpivot'); but I do not see any refrence to gereric; do you have any idea on how I can realise this? 

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Juan_Tafarello
Support
Support

Hello Suturb,

Could you add some screenshots? 

suturb
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

hi, sure, 

attached a screenshot of the qs desktop data manager and the table I want to transform while loading; 

i want to transform the column 'element' to separate columns (one for Pd, PT, Rh), 'assay' contains the values that should show in these columns. 

'unpivot' is the button that can be used to do the inverse of what I need, i.e. crosstable; 

you could say I could work with set analysis or a pivot table in QS, but I really need this data to be loaded in separate columns; 

Picture2.png

thanks so much!

joris 

Juan_Tafarello
Support
Support

Hello,

So first thing I would recommend move away from  the DataManager and into the script editor. There are a lot of easy coumentation on doing basic LOADs in the data load editor. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2019/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/LoadData/use-data-lo...

After, you can indeed achieve that by using the Generic Load. I will let here a QlikView explanation, dont worry. Qlik Sense and Qlik View share the scripting funcitons. Try it out!

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/The-Generic-Load/ba-p/1473470

BR,

suturb
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Juan, 

this really helped, thanks! I tried it before, but the mistake I made was not to limit my load to only 3 columns.. 

I have one more question, thoug: the link you refer to, also states that it is possible to do this with multiple keys, instead of one. I need two keys because my data has to link on both contract number and lot number level; do you have any suggestion on how to approach that? 

best regards,

joris