cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google Hangout 21:00 GMT (BST)

Hi All

I will be running a series of nightly Google Hangouts where we be looking at how Qlikview and Qlik Sense differ and why I think that Qlik Sense is the future.:

Tonight I will be concentrating on:

• Installing the MySQL ODBC Connector
  • Importing the Northwind DB into MySQL
  • Creating MySQL ODBC connections
  • Create and structure a new Qlik Sense Application
  • Importing the Northwind DB into Qlik Sense from MySQL
  • Looking at how we can improve the Data Load process,
  • Discuss what problems can occur
  • Create a funky load script in the Data Load Editor - not to be missed

My email is triggsley at gmail dot com, send me a message and I'll invite you.

8 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Dave - thank you for your contribution. This is an excellent away of providing free education to those wanting to learn more about QlikView and Qlik Sense. If you would like a Qlik representative to join / participate in these type of discussions, please let me know and I would be happy to join you.

I will feature this post, with hopes that it will get more visibility.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I can help with,

I also run a Qlik Sense weekly getting started webinar on Thursdays at 2PM EST anyone can register here:

Getting started with Qlik Sense Desktop

Please also note that there is a series of informative and free videos as well that can help those get started with Qlik Sense available here:

Regards,

Michael Tarallo

Qlik Sense Community Advocate

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael

That would be awesome if you could join in the Hangout, not too sure what timezone that your in but I'll hang on for you to join before I start if you like.

I have created a way in Qlikview to use the $(include) statement to load in external scripts and a config file which my method loops over to build QVDs, I was hopefully going to replicate this process in Qliksense and I'm happy to share with anyone that's interested.

I'm honored that you want to join in

Many thanks

DaveT

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Awesome - please contact me directly via email - I will send it to you in a direct message from the Qlik community. Note I might not be able to attend today's which would be 4PM EST my time (prior obligations) - but I will definitely try. We would love to work with our community members and I think starting this up is a great idea. Looking forward to it.

Mike T

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hello Dave!

Unfortunately, I just saw your post. Would it be possible to see a video of it, maybe?

Great idea Dave and Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Morning All

Many apologies for the Hangout last night it was an EPIC FAIL, as the invites never went out or people never received them, so I need to be a little more prepared.

I think that the Google Hangouts can work, and after my next attempt has finished I will post instructions on what's required and how-to host your own Google Hangout, it would be great to see Qlik Hangout parties popping up every night.

Next Qlik Sense Hangout

OK here goes, the next Google Hangout will be on Monday 25th 2015 @ 20:00 BST and you can see from list below what time it starts in your timezone.

• San Francisco - 12:00 pm
  • New York - 3:00 pm
  • UTC - 7:00 pm
  • Mumbai - Tuesday 26th 2015 @ 12:30 am
  • If your not sure what time it starts, please use this really cool funky Time Zone website which should cover all bases

Northwind Database

The schema that I've chosen and that is easily accessible for everyone to use is the Northwind database, it has been converted to all the major DB vendors so please feel free to use whichever one you want.

You can find the various DB vendor Schema's for downloading on the NorthwindExtended Google project page - here

Hangout Agenda

• Installing the MySQL ODBC Connector
  • Importing the Northwind DB into MySQL
  • Creating MySQL ODBC connections
  • Create and structure a new Qlik Sense Application
  • Importing the Northwind DB into Qlik Sense from MySQL
  • Looking at how we can improve the Data Load process
  • Create a funky load script in the Data Load Editor - not to be missed

My email is triggsley at gmail dot com, send me a message and I'll invite you, if you wish to join in please send request asap and I will test over the weekend that you can receive invites in preparation for the Hangout on Monday evening.

If you requested an invite for last night, you will receive a test Google Hangout from me during the course over the next couple of days, if there are any problems we will try and resolve and make notes for others to use when they host Hangouts.

Many thanks and humblest apologies

DaveT

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Dave / All - this is Mike Tarallo from Qlik. I am in full support of Dave and the start-up of this Google Hangout. I am more than happy to assist where needed. Please contact me directly mto and I will do the best I can to make this new venture a success along with Dave.

If you need to contact me, please send me a direct message through the community or contact me on twitter at @mtarallo.

Looking forward to meeting you all on Monday 25th 2015

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Apparently the invite setup is a bit flaky, but I can now confirm that I'm able to share the Hangout URL which will enable you to join, this has now been tested and I can confirm that it also working , therefore we will use this method to send out links 15 minutes prior to the Hangout starting on Monday Evening.

If you would like to participate in the Hangout you will need to setup a  Google+ account, this is a requirement.

If would like to watch the Hangout and not participate you will be able to watch live via Youtube.

You might need to download a plugin for your browser or app for your tablet, please visit Google Hangouts.

Please email me triggsley at gmail dot com, if you wish to attend in one form or another

Many thanks

DaveT