Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Grouping Field Values in Qlik Sense 3.2

Hi, I have a column name ''vehicle_type" under which I have multiple model names such as ''Accent'',''Baleno'',''Truck'',''Motorbike'' and so on. There are over 100+ models/vehicle types such as these mentioned. There are 2 objectives that I need to achieve.
Objective 1: Need to create only one dimension called ''Car'' under which only car models must be present (eliminating/ restricting ''truck'',''Motorbike'' etc)
Objective 2: Need to create a radio button that shows only ''Car'' and not all the values under ''Car''. Right now I get all the models listed as a radio button.
I've managed to achieve objective 1 but stuck at obj 2.

TIA

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create a new field in the load script in the table that tells what group of types the model/type belongs to. You can then use that new field to select the value Car in.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

precisely there are 260 vehicle types out of 300 which I have identified as car. Is it possible to create this on the fly? creating a new field in the load script may be a time consuming job.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Doing it on the fly will probably be more time consuming. I don't know how your identifying process works. If that can't be automated I suggest using an excel file and update that as you identify new cars. Then load the excel file into the Qlik Sense app.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

I appreciate your response. I'm new to Qlik Sense and I carry a rich experience working on variety of self-service tools. I felt many features were missing in Qlik Sense and I don't expect many to be incorporated soon but at the same time I would expect basic features to be in place to showcase good value proposition to the end user. I liked Qlik Sense in many ways due to its light architecture, simple setup process, good ETL layer, data storytelling and much more. The above scenario that I mentioned is just a tip of the iceberg. If I want to create multiple grouping from different levels of categories and sub categories, this adds up to the complexity. It's Qlik Sense and business users usually doesn't know or least bothered to get into back-end to create scripts.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Perhaps you can use bookmarks. Select everything you think is a car and then create a bookmark to save that selection in.