Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help with set analysis

I want to create a measure that will give me YTD sales if the the previous year's sales are 0.

Here are my expression of PY Sales and YTD Sales:

PY:

sum({<[Year]={$(=max(Year)-1)}>} IF(STATUS=31,-1*EXTSHIPAMT,EXTSHIPAMT))

YTD:

sum({$<[Date]={'<=$(=date(max([Date])))'}, [Year]={$(=max([Year]))}>} if(STATUS=31,EXTSHIPAMT*-1,EXTSHIPAMT))

I tried using an if statement, but it does not work for some reason:

if(sum({<[Year]={$(=max(Year)-1)}>} IF(STATUS=31,-1*EXTSHIPAMT,EXTSHIPAMT))=0, sum({$<[Date]={'<=$(=date(max([Date])))'}, [Year]={$(=max([Year]))}>} if(STATUS=31,EXTSHIPAMT*-1,EXTSHIPAMT)))

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

James

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If would try to avoid a calculated dimension. I'd try adding this set modifier to the chart expression:

[Cust Name]=E({<[Year]={"<$(=Max(Year))"},EXTSHIPAMT={">0"}>})>}[Cust Name])

The above set modifier will exclude all customers that have records for previous years with EXTSHIPAMT value larger than zero.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

6 Replies
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi James,

I think you are complicating the analysis over periods. A master calendar will make your life easier.

Creating A Master Calendar

Once you have the master calendar

just a simple expression like this:

sum({$< YTD = {1}, Dim = {p({< Sales = {">0"}>}Dim)} >})

Thanks,

Sangram

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Are you trying to do this in a chart with a year dimension? If so you need to consider that the set of a set analysis expression is calculated at the chart level, not the row level. On a row for year 2015 you can't retrieve/show data of 2014, only of 2015.

Not applicable
Author

I'm trying to get the total sales in a KPI.  I have it working at the chart level by creating a dimension for new accounts (or accounts that did not buy anything the previous year):

aggr(if(sum({<[Year]={$(=max(Year)-1)}>} IF(STATUS=31,-1*EXTSHIPAMT,EXTSHIPAMT))=0,[Cust Name]),[Cust Name])

This works great in a table, but I have to check exclude null values for it to be accurate.

Here's what I'm using for the KPI:

sum(if(aggr(sum({<[Year]={$(=max(Year)-1)}>} IF(STATUS=31,-1*EXTSHIPAMT,EXTSHIPAMT)),[Cust Name])=0,0,IF(STATUS=31,-1*EXTSHIPAMT,EXTSHIPAMT)))

My problem with this is that I'm getting a value for all others. Is there a way to exclude all of the null values?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

If would try to avoid a calculated dimension. I'd try adding this set modifier to the chart expression:

[Cust Name]=E({<[Year]={"<$(=Max(Year))"},EXTSHIPAMT={">0"}>})>}[Cust Name])

The above set modifier will exclude all customers that have records for previous years with EXTSHIPAMT value larger than zero.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the help, that's what I ended up doing to get it to work.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Glad it worked. Can you mark the discussion as answered? That may help other people searching for a solution to a similar problem.