Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shameem_m
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hide Apps in Hub using user groups.

Hello,

We have a requirement where apps should be hidden according to user access.

In a stream we have around 15 apps and more to come in future. Users are divided into groups, we control section access according  to groups.

Now we are trying to hide the apps in stream according to groups. For the same I have created new User directory using ODBC Excel connection.

As we could mention groups in security rules, Is there a way to assign security rules to apps and Users in QMC, instead of creating custom properties.

I understood that by giving values in Custom properties we could control the access, but im trying to hide app by user groups from excel.

I'm working on QlikSense QMC for the first time so please guide me.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marinadorcassio1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

For hiding apps, then you have to :

- go to Security rules, create a new one, template "App access"

- in ressource filter, add the id of your application, like 'Apps_f0ff72b0-29d2-49b2-901b-64a992b299eb'

- in advanced conditions, write (user.group="Blablabla")

- repeat for each app

I don't remember but maybe you have to do the same for each STREAM (by creating a new rule on template "Stream", giving the id of the Stream, and (user.group="Blablabla") in advanced conditions) and DISABLE the default rule named "Stream" (disable, don't delete them !)

I let you struggle with hiding sheets !

Good luck,

Marina

View solution in original post

9 Replies
marinadorcassio1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi,

Managing sheet security is much more complicated, I wouldn't do that and would find another way. It's based on the same than giving access to apps, you have to create security rules, but a lot, and maintenance will be really hard.

I spend a lot of time on this (Sheet or App Object Level Security Qlik Sense), and finally I haven't done that, that's really not a good idea.

Good luck on this,

Regards,

Marina

shameem_m
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for response. Though my requirement is to hide both apps and sheets, currently I'm only trying to hide apps using groups created in UserDirectory. if it is possible, I want to avoid creating custom properties. .

marinadorcassio1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

For hiding apps, then you have to :

- go to Security rules, create a new one, template "App access"

- in ressource filter, add the id of your application, like 'Apps_f0ff72b0-29d2-49b2-901b-64a992b299eb'

- in advanced conditions, write (user.group="Blablabla")

- repeat for each app

I don't remember but maybe you have to do the same for each STREAM (by creating a new rule on template "Stream", giving the id of the Stream, and (user.group="Blablabla") in advanced conditions) and DISABLE the default rule named "Stream" (disable, don't delete them !)

I let you struggle with hiding sheets !

Good luck,

Marina

shameem_m
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you so much.

I have excluded stream from the default Stream security rule and

I have created security rules for each app, resource filter as  App_<AppID>, Stream_<StreamID> and mentioned corresponding groups in their security rules.

I could able to see all the apps , may be because I'm admin. But other users couldn't able to see apps in Stream.

Am I missing any other property?

marinadorcassio1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

What do you mean by "I have excluded stream from the default Stream security rule." ?

May you share a rule you wrote, one for app and one for stream for example ?

shameem_m
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Marina,

I have updated my previous reply, please check.

And also I have added "resource.app.stream.name!="OEC_Test"  in the default rule.

marinadorcassio1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Please don't touch default rules !!!

You should just try what I told you.

Good luck,

Marina

shameem_m
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

No Marina, I have created duplicate rule and added above condition to it. Only after adding the condition Stream is visible to users. But apps are still not visible.

And We have 100+ streams in server and I couldn't created those many rules. SO I'm trying alternative.

marinadorcassio1
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

That's not the good way