Need one help please. we have one Qlik view server [16 CPU, 64 GiB Memory]. This server is going down continuously. we checked the performance in Task manager. Qlik Service engine is consuming 99% memory. Please refer snapshot.
Also we did the memory settings as per the qlik installation document.
I already gone through different posts on this community where others users has same memory/high RAM issues. But it didn't helped to resolve this.
As the users select the apps to view, they get loaded into RAM. Then as they click around, user cache is created which is also stored in RAM. This usage is shown as RAM being held by the Engine service.
Any development work going on will also add to this usage.
Find out what apps are open, and how many users are currently accessing them (The operations monitor will show this detail).
The simple answer may well be that you need more RAM in the server to keep up with current usage.
With the help of the telemetry dashboard you will determine which application is taking a long time to load and uses a lot of RAM. Duplicate problematic application through QMC > Apps, rename it to old application and upload data.