cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stars
Creator
Creator

Highlight a Bar on a Stacked Bar Chart

I am trying to highlight one bar in a stacked bar chart.  In a simple bar chart, I can color by expression so whatever I have selected will be a single color and all other data will be a different color.  But in a stacked bar, I need to leave the color alone so each piece in my stack has its own color.  I would like my selected bar to be bold.  I have attached two pictures - "Graph" is of the stacked bar graph and "Selected" shows what I would like it to look like when a bar is selected (I selected bar 31 for the example).  I tried searching for this but didn't have any luck.  And suggestions would be great.  Thank you!

GRAPH:GRAPHGRAPH

SELECTED:

SELECTEDSELECTED

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

Are you using color expression to display the colors?

Stars
Creator
Creator
Author

I’m not using color by expression. When I tried that, all the pieces of my stack became the same color. Right now I set my color panel in IU panel in the JSON file in my theme. Each piece of my stack is a long equation, so I didn’t make them master measures or variables. I just added them and typed out the formula. In a simple bar chart, I can color by expression because the bars are all one color. But here I can’t figure out how without losing the pieces of my stacks!

Stars
Creator
Creator
Author

I tried again.  This time I made each piece of my stacked bar a master measure and specified a color.  But when I try to color by expression so I can tell it to highlight one bar based on which company I select, it changes the bars so they're all single color again.  Any tips?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Make sure that your colour by expression is overriding the selection - eg

Sum({<selection(s)_to_ignore, ...>} Amount)

where selection(s)_to_ignore is a comma separated list of field names to override.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Stars
Creator
Creator
Author

Ooooh, can you explain that more?  Every time I switch to color by expression, it makes all my bars single color (instead of multicolored stacks).  Is there a way not to do that?  I tried to figure out how to change the background color with argb instead of rgb, but it just made my stacked bars single color also. 

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I don't have enough information to give you a definitive answer (data model, dimensions, expressions, etc). If things are not behaving when you make selections, you may need to override the problem selections using a set expression. In particular, you can override a field selection by using the <field= > syntax (the = sign is optional). There is a lot more information on set expressions and set analysis in the on line help, community blogs or the Qlik Youtube channels.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Stars
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi - I created a newer (better) post with an attached qvf.  The post title is: Opacity on a Stacked Bar Chart .  Hopefully that gives you the information you need.  I really appreciate you looking at this.  Thank you!