Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mijileee
Partner - Newbie
Partner - Newbie

How To Resolve Join Errors

Hi All,

I'm still learning more about Qlik Sense and was wondering if anyone had tips or insights to troubleshooting issues with joins.

When I create key fields to link the tables in my data load editor, I'm not sure how to check whether or not they are joining correctly. I find this even harder when I do a LEFT/OUTER join in my script to pull the necessary data.

Basically, when you notice your joins are incorrect what do you do to fix them?

Thank you!

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Should be 100% inthe DImension table. It may be less than 100% in a Fact table.  For example, consider an Orders fact table that contains 2 years of orders.  Also a Customers table that contains all customers, linked by CustomerId.  In the last 2 years,  only 70% of your customers have placed an order.   Subset Ratio for CustomerId in the Orders table will be 100%, in the Customers table 70%.

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The first method to validate your joins is to examine the subset ratio of the key fields in the data model viewer. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/November2018/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/DataModeling/preview...

-Rob

mijileee
Partner - Newbie
Partner - Newbie
Author

Thanks Rob! The subset ratio should be 100% for all key fields correct?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Should be 100% inthe DImension table. It may be less than 100% in a Fact table.  For example, consider an Orders fact table that contains 2 years of orders.  Also a Customers table that contains all customers, linked by CustomerId.  In the last 2 years,  only 70% of your customers have placed an order.   Subset Ratio for CustomerId in the Orders table will be 100%, in the Customers table 70%.

-Rob

mijileee
Partner - Newbie
Partner - Newbie
Author

Thank you! That example was really helpful.