Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I create traffic light colour ratings in a bar chart?

Hi,

I have been trying to use the colour by expression feature to set the colours in a bar chart to either Red, Amber or Green depending on the values of the data.

In my source data, I have created a field named 'Internal RAG Rating' which contains values Red, Amber or Green (calculated field based on certain criteria). My bar chart uses the Internal RAG Rating as a measure, and count(Internal RAG rating) as a dimension so I have a simple bar chart with 3 columns showing numbers of Red, Amber and Green data items.

I want to set the colours of the individual bars to match the data type, and I have tried using colour by expression but I am failing miserably to define the expression correctly, even for just 2 colours!

I have tried If([Internal RAG rating] = Red, rgb(255,0,0), (If([Internal RAG rating] = Amber,rgb(255,128,0),rgb(0,255,0)),rgb(0,255,0))

and variations on that, but I keep getting the 'Error in Expression' message, even when I try a simple 2 colour option like If([Internal RAG Rating] = Red,rgb(255,0,0),rgb(0,255,0)) it is ignoring the red data and just returning the default colour.

Can someone more technically gifted than me please advise what I am doing wrong and how to code this expression correctly?

Thanks 🙂

20 Replies
r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Graham,

try

=If([Internal RAG rating] = 'Red', rgb(255,0,0),

If([Internal RAG rating] = 'Amber', rgb(255,128,0),

rgb(0,255,0)))

Regards,

Ronny

PS: You need to use ' ...' when you use a text value.

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi Graham,

you need to add single quotes as below:

If(Internal_RAG_rating = 'Red', RGB(255,0,00),
if(Internal_RAG_rating='Amber',RGB(255,153,0)
RGB(0,204,0)))

See attached

HTH Andy

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Andrew,

Tried that but just getting the default colour of Green. Could this be a data problem as the colours are based on an Excel formula?

Regards,

Graham

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Graham,

in your post you use e.g. [Internal RAG rating] .

replace Internal_RAG_rating by [Internal RAG rating] and try again.

Regards

Ronny

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Ronny,

Tried this but I’m still only getting the default colour of Green…

Could it be the data?

Regards,

Graham

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Graham,

can you share a sample file ?

Ronny

PS: I mean a sample file with dummy data.

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi Graham,

the RAG values are case sensitive remember, do you wan to upload you qvw

Andy

Not applicable
Author

Hi Andy,

It’s confidential data so I will have to create a sanitised extract; will try to do this later today.

Thankss,

Graham

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ronny,

Here’s a sanitised version of the data file. The Internal RAG Rating field is in column ‘P’.

Regards,

Graham